Help with a hillshade map of outh Africa

Rob D

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 09:15 am
I am a novice, please be kind.
I am looking for a hillshade map of the upper Tugela area of South Africa (Ladysmith to Bergville etc). Sort of like the shading on Google maps, but I want to lose the roads, labels etc and have the shading in as high resolution as possible. I am writing a book about the Boer War and I want a grayscale topographic map on which I can show troop movements etc.
The sites I go to are baffling.
Can anyone help? My email is [email protected]
thanks in anticipation
Rob
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 325 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 05:06 pm
@Rob D,
PASDA, a grphic resiurce center of all kinds of maps, HA bbeen making LIDAR maps available for all sorts of locations. Hillhade i jut a specific outwhite, indicating mountainous and level ground that the laser shots are caplable of producing
PASDA is an office at Penn STate. It pruces data based on density of laser returns from a speific point on rt.Its able todismiss forests cities, and anyartificial vertical structures ubkess so requested. i suppose you knp that hillshade darkens the laser returns for stteeper slopes, A hillshade map is the product of a sinlelaser scan of an area. Its resultion is about 10^6 scans pere 100 cm of area

few years ago i did Mooonie based scans lidar analyses that wewere able to locate old native american residnces in the american west because it clearly showed us that w here residences werelocated the landsc

ape was white, indicating fflat ground. LIDAR is mature tech now adn non scientific gography like that of aerai archeology uses it regularly
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 05:11 pm
@farmerman,
I would consult a university Archeology program with interests of Boer war, Zulu Nation and Losoto and see what;s out there in LIDAR maps.

This stuff is esily xquired around here but Ont know about old historicl mps. LIDR is only aboutb20 years old and you cant mke it up for times when laser covrage ws not available
0 Replies