Are your socks directional?

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:11 pm
Having lived observing the society of man for 60+ years I have come to the conclusion that the chararistic that separates man from the other creatures is the need to re-organize reality. We human beans seem to start out at birth and continue until death do us part organizing and then re-organizing reality (which seldom co-operates) to make "it" more comfortable for the duration. This observation as led me to this question, do we define socks, which are for all intents and purposes without direction, into left and right footed socks?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,732 • Replies: 32
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:37 pm
As I recall, there were no right or left shoes not that many decades ago. But, right or lefte socks . . . ?
0 Replies

roger

Yer supposed to put the red one on the left foot and the yellow on the right. How directional is that. The open end goes on first.

Oh, junction box dried out so I've got phone and computer again.
0 Replies

Diane

Hm, sometimes my socks retain the shape of my feet--right or left. If so, I tend to wear the socks on the matching foot. Odd. Will I now be considered a directional sock wearer? Somehow, I don't think that would be a good thing.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:38 pm
Dys seems to be asking a lot of questions today.

I think he's stoned.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:40 pm
I cut the toes off the right sock so I can always tell it apart from the left.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:45 pm
Great question, Dys. Used to be I couldn't leave the house for fear the left sock was not on the left foot and vice versa--it's often difficult to tell.

Solution: I have one pair of socks, fastened to the inside of my shoes. Together they make "shocks."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:51 pm
Is it easier to count your toes with your socks on or off?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:54 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Is it easier to count your toes with your socks on or off?

I suppose it depends on if you wear toe socks or not. I personally haven't seen my toes for some time...I assume they are well.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 06:27 pm
I cant realy comment as I seem to always only have one of a pair!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 06:58 pm
I believe that my socks which go in the hamper after a long walk wrapped around sweating feet gain and retain a certain set of stiff bulges that can be studied for directionality. So, yes, sometimes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 08:00 pm
Socks are a plot by shoe manufacturers . . . i rarely wear the former, nor even the latter, if i can get away with it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 08:15 pm
What are these things you refer to as "socks"?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:28 am
Directional as far as left and right go, no. But I am totally anal about a sock being put on "properly". Hmmmm, might be one of the reasons I have this irrational fear of my feet ever being bound. That's one for the psychiatrists couch I'm sure.

Every sock has a seam. On tube socks that seam is usually slightly rounded and at the very tip of the toe section of the sock. Crew socks or athletic socks (I refer to these as heel/toe socks) usually have a seam that runs straight across the top of the toe section.

I have always had "busy" toes that I have always enjoyed wiggling and spreading my toes. I discovered when I was very young that if my sock was twisted in any way, it became restrictive to my toe wiggling and therefore very uncomfortable.

I began making certain that my socks were always put on properly so that the seams, before the days of tube socks, were always meticulously aligned on my feet, with a little extra toe wiggling room so that I never felt them twisted or bulky or sliding down into my shoe.

Once I had my kids, I apparently instilled that same proper placement of socks upon their feet without even verbalizing it. Today they both continue the practice of proper sock placement and I am sure they will eventually pass it along to their offspring.

Anal is as anal does. Embarrassed
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 07:12 am
I can never figure out which sock goes on which hand.
0 Replies

C1eopatra

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:59 am
au1929 wrote:
I can never figure out which sock goes on which hand.

The one with the six toe spaces goes on the left.

or....perhaps...that's just mine...

Embarrassed
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:11 am
C'mon, you guys, can't you tell which dirty sock was on which foot? <frowns>
0 Replies

C1eopatra

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:13 am
ossobuco wrote:
C'mon, you guys, can't you tell which dirty sock was on which foot? <frowns>

I wash mine.

How stupid is that??
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:17 am
When they're still on your feet? Seems a bit extra-tidy to meee.
0 Replies

C1eopatra

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:28 am
ossobuco wrote:
When they're still on your feet? Seems a bit extra-tidy to meee.

Efficient. Wash your socks and your feet at the same time...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are your socks directional?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 10:36:26