Dealing with feelings of inadequacy. Need to vent

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 01:26 am
As the title says I'm dealing with major feelings of inadequacy. Yes I an in therapy and my therapist does know everything I'm about to say.

I just need to vent, not really asking for advice or even a comment. But I've found that writing anonymously in a public forum helps me feel better and process.

I'm a 33 year old self proclaimed loser. Former actor that never made a living turned corporate paper pusher albeit its all electronic now.

I'm on my 2 week vacation and I chose to travel across the country. The first days were lonely then I made some friends at a hostel and it was fun. Then my last city my hostel was a bit isolated in that people were just doing their own thing. No problem.

It's only been 3 days in my last city and I have 4 more to go. But my feelings of loneliness are destroying me. I've just been going out by myself every night. During the day I try do fun things like go to a carnival and site see. But I'm incredibly lonely.

I decided to download a dating app. I don't know why but did. To my surprise I matched with some incredibly fun, insightful and beautiful women. 6 of whom actually engaged in a meaningful conversation with me. We were messaging back and forth for hours over 3 days. I asked all 6 out and got ghosted.

Now I understand I'm not owed anything and a conversation isn't chemistry. I understand the issues that fall on women when it comes to dating. I've had girl friends (not girlfriends - never had a relationship) and my sister and cousins describe the horror stories they've experienced with crazy men. I'm aware of all of that and recognize that these women although had a fun conversation with me and seem to be laughing at jokes or whatever aren't comfortable meeting someone from an app after a couple of days of messaging.

For me, this is a first. In my hometown located 3 miles from a major east coast city, I rarely get 1 match a month. So I get that I may have seemed over eager or desperate by asking them out after a couple of days.

Despite knowing and understanding all of this, I feel shitty. I feel inadequate. And lonelier than ever. And have been eating my feelings. Again it's my problem not anyone else's. Plus it's on my profile that I'm only in town for a week. Why would any woman want to meet up with someone that'll be gone in a week? I know it happens with some people but not with me. It's never happened before and probably never will. I'm just not the guy any woman would want to date in general regardless of length of time. And most definitely not someone anyone would want a fling with.

I guess I just liked the attention and it made me feel wanted for a change. And before you say they were "bots" we added each other on IG and they are very real. Reason I say that is because I've matched almost exclusively with bots and these women were not that.

Regardless I unmatched all of them tonight and deleted my profile and the app. That's pretty much it. I do consider this trip as a big step forward in the right direction Despite my impulsive behavior (deleting matches after no response for 24ish hours). Truth is in general it is a step forward. I met some really cool people at a hostel in a previous city and there were at least 6 women who liked me enough to talk to me.

It's pretty low bar for most people but it is major for me. I just need to learn to be better. I don't think I'll ever be happy or ill ever reach any of my goals (social or professional) but I'll keep trying. Even though I truly feel like I'll never be enough for even myself. If anyone reads this don't feel the need to reply. I just needed to vent.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 241 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 05:36 am
@thomasart68,
I know you didn't want advice.

I'm going to offer a little, anyway.

Your trip pretty much guaranteed you would have feelings of loneliness. Traveling alone from city to city is a recipe for this, no matter how many people anyone has ever dated. Consciously or unconsciously, you set yourself up for those feelings.

So, what to do instead?

I think the idea of the trip was a decent one, to get out of your comfort zone.

Next time, look up local travel groups on Meetup and Google trips for singles and/or trips for people who share your interests. For example, if you like archeology, there may be trips for people to go to digs and actually, you know, dig up fossils.

Don't go in expecting or even hoping for romance. Go to make friends and have fun.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 02:00 pm
@thomasart68,
Go ahead and vent - we all need that once in a while.

But if you want a little advice - yeah jespah about said it -

Also in her same regard - focus on just doing stuff you like and like she said joining things/organizations that do things that you enjoy or maybe want to try....a hiking club, a cooking class, for example....then you are doing things that you enjoy with people that also like that activity. You will be more yourself, and your great personality will shine and be natural.

That is more likely the situation where you would meet someone and really get to know them and perhaps progress to something more - if not, you have the opportunity to have a new group of friends or at least learn something more.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dealing with feelings of inadequacy. Need to vent
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:58:06