child support after retirement

ce2022

Reply Wed 18 May, 2022 11:43 am
I had the physical custody of my 2 kids and their mother had the right of visitations every other weekend, because her low income I paid a monthly small child support amount (deducted from my paycheck), my kids born at 1985 and 1988, the child support supposed to end around 2003, but because I couldn't afford a Lawyer, the monthly child support continue until October-2022, this is the date I retired. should I file to stop the child support or it is automatically canceled ? should I be liable for the not paid child support after my retirement ? any advice will be appreciated, thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 258 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 May, 2022 01:55 pm
@ce2022,
Every state is different. You very definitely need a lawyer.

You are now paying support for two children both over the age of 30? You should have gotten that lawyer a long time ago.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 May, 2022 10:04 pm
@ce2022,
When you have physical custody of your children, why would you pay child support to your wife? It is her who should have paid you. Child support ends
either when the kids are 21 years old or finished with their education.

Your children are adults and over the age of 30 - no child support needed and if you paid child support to you ex wife for all these years, at least your children should have had the decency and told you to stop.

By all means go ahead and stop immediately. Actually, you could ask for a refund, but I doubt they would pay you back.

You are a good man, but don't be a sucker now!
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2022 08:30 am
@CalamityJane,
agreed if I were in this situation - I would have just stopped the payments when the reached the age of 21 (guessing that was supposed to be the cutoff date) - if anyone came after to you - all you would need to show you did not need to pay any longer was their birth certificate.

Just stop paying - I don't this ex-wife or anyone will come after you seeing you have paying what 10 years or so more than you were supposed to? If they come after you then say, hey wait I wasn't supposed to pay for these years - I am going to counter you all and ask for my money back + interest.

That would likely shut them up.
0 Replies

ce2022

Reply Fri 20 May, 2022 10:16 am
thanks for all your response, I am guessing I will need a lawyer for this, I really appreciate it , thanks
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » child support after retirement
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:02:41