Lack of Baby Formula....and How to Personally Deal with it.

thack45

Reply Mon 16 May, 2022 01:51 pm
I decided to Google "baby formula recipe" and the following headlines were in the "Top Stories".

Mother Jones
Social Media Influencers Are Sharing Dangerous Formula Recipes – Mother Jones
3 days ago

The Today Show
Why Homemade Baby Formula Is Not Safe For Babies
2 days ago

Raleigh News & Observer
‘Please ... do not make baby formula at home,’ warns Duke doctor. What to do instead.
3 days ago

(Local news)
Baby formula shortage: Don't turn to homemade recipes, warns pediatrician
6 hours ago

NYTimes
Don’t Make Baby Formula at Home Amid Shortage, Doctors Say
4 days ago

USA Today
Baby formula shortage: Safe substitute brands, donor breastmilk
4 days ago

MarketWatch
Why there's a baby formula shortage — and why it's not safe to make your own formula
6 days ago

Newsweek
Baby Formula Shortage: Parents Taking 'Real Risk' on Homemade Recipes
6 days ago

Fox News
Parents search frantically for homemade baby formula recipes amid shortage
1 week ago
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 May, 2022 05:18 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
What would have been more useful is for the government to have released clear and carefully written instructions on how to prepare substitute infant formula at home during this temporary shortage – what ingredients are required, how they are to be combined, and why it's important to follow the recipe. (Obviously there are infants with special medical requirements who couldn't use the homemade formula but it would work in most situations.)

Now that makes quite a bit of sense. Mothers had used homemade formula for many, many years, without harming their little kids.

I think that you have alluded to the truth of the matter, but that would involve the political side of the argument. Maybe the government would rather parents go ballistic over the shortage of formula, rather than give some helpful answers that would solve the problem. But that is for another discussion.
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 May, 2022 05:29 pm
This just struck me as very funny. I wonder if many of the people who are so concerned about harming their infants, have no compunctions about feeding their (older) children junk food. Now we know that overeating junk food is the cause of many problems in both older children and adults.

If parents were that worried about their kid's health the BKs, Mickey Ds etc. of the country would soon find that they have a lot less business.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 May, 2022 05:39 pm
@thack45,
If you read all the headlines all but one have the same tone.....hysteria. Nothing helpful, just verbiage designed to frighten parents.
Mame

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 09:01 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Mothers had used homemade formula for many, many years, without harming their little kids.

After I posted here yesterday, I happened to read a couple of articles in the NYT on this. I had no idea there were a) so many different types of baby formula, b) the formulas contained so many ingredients, and c) that some babies had to have their own special formula due to allergies and diseases. There were mothers of the c) group that were quite distressed - frantic, even - and spoke of how guilty they felt that they were not breast-feeding. So... I have to retract my glib and rather uncaring comments of yesterday. It apparently IS a big deal.

I agree with you about the hysteria, however. That doesn't help anyone.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 09:11 am
@Mame,
Well done, it takes a lot to admit you were wrong about something.

You have my respect.
Mame

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 09:24 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you Smile I just read this guest essay and recommend it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/17/opinion/formula-shortage.html

These Two Immediate Steps Will Help Alleviate the Formula Shortage
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 10:50 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

If you read all the headlines all but one have the same tone.....hysteria. Nothing helpful, just verbiage designed to frighten parents.

Isn't this about 99% of any media headline!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 10:56 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

After I posted here yesterday, I happened to read a couple of articles in the NYT on this. I had no idea there were a) so many different types of baby formula, b) the formulas contained so many ingredients, and c) that some babies had to have their own special formula due to allergies and diseases. There were mothers of the c) group that were quite distressed - frantic, even - and spoke of how guilty they felt that they were not breast-feeding. So... I have to retract my glib and rather uncaring comments of yesterday. It apparently IS a big deal.

Unless you are in the situation or know someone close - why would you know? It seems like something basic; feeding a baby, but for some it is not. And yeah I remember being pregnant and attending those birthing classes and such - they make you feel guilty if you do not go all natural and if you do not breast feed; like you are doing something harmful for your child.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:26:58