How do you pronounce the name 'Chanur'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 463 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Yalow

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 11:58 am
You would pronounce a T before the CH, wouldn't you?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2022 12:06 pm
I have no idea, some knowledge of the ethnicity would help. Different letters have different pronunciations depending on the language.

Look at J. We pronounce it J, Spanish speakers H and Swedes Y.

Without any knowledge of how 'ch is pronounced in that group I can't say.
Yalow

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 12:29 pm
@izzythepush,
It's the name of a character in a SF book, the writer is from USA.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 12:43 pm
@Yalow,
In the US there are many people with names that are Spanish, Swedish, Italian, Irish as well as from every country on the globe. Maybe you should try one of those SF forums to satisfy your interest in fantasy names. There are a few SF fans here I think, maybe someone will attempt to answer your query.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 12:46 pm
@Yalow,
If they have not given a pronunciation guide you'll have to go with what you think's best.

Tolkein gave lots of detail about how his character's names should be pronounced but that didn't stop people being upset by the pronunciation of the dragon's name in the film of the Hobbit.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 12:49 pm
@izzythepush,
There is that ultra secret source 'google' that occasionally answers a question.
Yalow

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 12:58 pm
@glitterbag,
I googled it once, went on the Wikipedia page, no answer. But after your post I thought of searching 'Chanur pronunciation' and I got something.
0 Replies