1) Why is Netflix losing viewers? 2) Can you name (every) Netflix series that you ever liked?

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 01:28 pm
1) Why is Netflix losing viewers?

2) Can you name (every) Netflix series that you ever liked?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 977 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 01:36 pm
@Real Music,
I think I heard they're upset that Netflix is disallowing multiple users on one account. I actually have access to two accounts (both family) but have never used them.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 01:38 pm
@Mame,
So Netflix is worried they are not making enough money????
Real Music

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 01:40 pm
1. I enjoyed the Netflix series (Into the Night)

2. I've seen two seasons of this series.

3. I hope a third season is coming.

4. The way the second season ended, left me with the impression that there will be a third season.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 01:51 pm
1. I watched 2 seasons of the Netflix series (Black Summer)

2. I think I read somewhere that this series is actually a prequel to the tv series Z Nation.
I'm not sure if that is true or not.

3. The second season ended in an incomplete way.

4. That leads me to believe that a third season might be possible.

5. I haven't heard anything about a third season.

6. (Black Summer) clearly isn't one of my favorites,

7. In my opinion, (Black Summer) is just an okay series.

8. If they make a third season, I will watch it.

9. If they don't make a third season, I won't lose no sleep over it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 01:56 pm
@glitterbag,
I don't know what they think. I think they allowed 2 people other than the subscriber access, but as can be seen, two sisters gave me their password. I don't know how they can even track that.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 01:57 pm
1. I watched all three seasons of the Netflix series (Travelers)

2. This series had a conclusion and a series finale.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 02:05 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
I think I heard they're upset that Netflix is disallowing multiple users on one account. I actually have access to two accounts (both family) but have never used them.

I've heard of people sharing passwords on Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, and every other streaming platform
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 02:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
So Netflix is worried they are not making enough money????

1. Even with the loss of subscribers, I think Netflix still has the most subscribers of any streaming platform.

2. I guess their biggest fear is the current trend trajectory of losing a greater number of subscribers.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 02:42 pm
@Real Music,
Oo, there's way too many I loved on Netflix.

Ozarks
Last Kingdom
Call the Midwife
Squid Game
Wentworth

Just to name a few binge worthy shows.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 03:50 pm
to be honest I am not sure what is on netflix vs any other streaming.

My guess is in part there are so many streaming choices that the market is getting saturated - many more choices - increased competition so supply of these services have increased much more than the demand.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 04:08 pm
I was using a daughter's account until they cut me off. I don't really mind. I binged the Good Place and watched a handful of movies over maybe four or five years.
Mame

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 05:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
On the radio just now, they announced that Netflix shares are down 64%. If that's true, wow.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 05:30 pm
@Mame,
That's quite a jump. I read 34% earlier.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 05:57 pm
Netflix shares slide after it loses 200,000 subscribers

Updated on: April 20, 2022

Quote:
Netflix shares are sinking sharply after the streaming service suffered its first subscriber loss in more than a decade.

The company's customer base fell by 200,000 subscribers during the January-March period, the company disclosed Tuesday in releasing its latest earnings report. Netflix's stock price plunged more than 37% to $219.50 in early trading on Wednesday as investors fretted about the company's slowing growth and mounting competition.

UBS analysts downgraded their rating on Netflix's stock from "buy" to "neutral," citing fierce competition in streaming, economic headwinds and market saturation.

The decline in subscribers is the first since Netflix became available throughout most of the world outside of China six years ago. The drop this year stemmed in part from Netflix's decision to withdraw from Russia to protest the war against Ukraine, resulting in a loss of 700,000 subscribers.

Even so, Netflix acknowledged its problems are deep-rooted by projecting a loss of another 2 million subscribers during the April-June period.

The company reported revenue of nearly $7.9 billion in the period, falling slightly short of Wall Street forecasts. For the current quarter ending in July, Netflix said it expects revenue of just over $8 billion. Analysts surveyed by Zacks had expected revenue of $8.2 billion.

A series of declines

If the stock drop extends into Wednesday's regular trading session, Netflix shares will have lost more than half of their value so far this year — wiping out about $150 billion in shareholder wealth in less than four months.

Netflix also lost 800,000 subscribers in 2011 after it unveiled plans to begin charging separately for its then-nascent streaming service, which had been bundled for free with its traditional DVD-by-mail service. The customer backlash to that move elicited an apology from Netflix CEO Reed Hastings for botching the execution of the spin-off.

The service also saw a decline in U.S. subscribers in 2019.

But the latest subscriber loss was far worse than a forecast by Netflix management for a conservative gain of 2.5 million subscribers. The news deepens troubles that have been mounting for the streaming since a surge of signups from a captive audience during the pandemic began to slow.

Netflix is losing subscribers amid rising competition in online programming from Amazon, Apple, Disney and numerous other services.

The streaming industry "is more saturated and filled with a multitude of services offering compelling content at prices lower than NFLX's, including mega-tech platforms with deep pockets," Oppenheimer analysts wrote in a note.

Slowing growth

It marks the fourth time in the last five quarters that Netflix's subscriber growth has fallen below the gains of the previous year. Now investors fear that its streaming service may be mired in a malaise as it faces stiffening competition from well-funded rivals such as Apple and Walt Disney.

"Netflix is still the single most dominant player in the streaming industry, especially in demand for original content," noted Parrot Analytics, a company that analyzes streaming content, in an email. "But as several nearly century-old firms erode the incumbent's market share, Netflix is reaching a point where it needs to focus more on subscriber retention, especially in North America, while its legacy media-backed competitors Disney+ and HBO Max continue focusing on subscriber growth in key international territories."

Last year, Netflix had its weakest annual gain since 2016, adding 18.2 million subscribers. That contrasted with an increase of 36 million subscribers during 2020 when people were corralled at home and starved for entertainment, which Netflix was able to quickly and easily provide with its stockpile of original programming.

Password crackdown

Netflix has previously predicted that it will regain its momentum, but is now starting to acknowledge that it's mired in a serious malaise that requires action. Among other things, Netflix signaled that it will likely crack down on the sharing of subscriber passwords that has enabled multiple households to access its service from a single account.

The Los Gatos, California, company estimated that about 100 million households worldwide are feeding off the same account, including 30 million in the U.S. and Canada — its largest market. To stop the practice and prod more people to pay for their own accounts, Netflix indicated it may expand a test introduced last month in Chile, Peru and Costa Rica that allows subscribers to add up to two people living outside their households to their accounts for an additional fee of $2.99 USD.

"Account sharing as a percentage of our paying membership hasn't changed much over the years, but, coupled with the first factor, means it's harder to grow membership in many markets — an issue that was obscured by our COVID growth," Netflix said Tuesday in a letter to its shareholders.

Netflix ended March with 221.6 million worldwide subscribers.

With the pandemic easing, people have been finding other things to do, and other video streaming services are working hard to lure new viewers with their own award-winning programming. Apple, for instance, held the exclusive streaming rights to "CODA," which eclipsed Netflix's "Power of The Dog," among other movies, to win Best Picture at last month's Academy Awards.

Escalating inflation over the past year has also squeezed household budgets, leading more consumers to rein in their spending on discretionary items. Despite that pressure, Netflix recently raised its prices in the U.S., where it has its greatest household penetration — and where it's had the most trouble finding more subscribers. In the most recent quarter, Netflix lost 640,000 subscribers in the U.S. and Canada, prompting management to point out that most of its future growth will come in international markets.

Netflix also is trying to give people another reason to subscribe by adding video games at no extra charge — a feature that began to roll out last year.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/netflix-losing-subscribers-stock-drop/
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2022 07:31 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

2) Can you name (every) Netflix series that you ever liked?

Who the heck has time for that?

Hilda, Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts, Bojack Horseman, She-ra and the Princess of Power, Aggretsuko, Big Mouth, Human Resources, Inside Job, Stranger Things, Santa Clara Diet, the MST3k reboot, Tuca and Bertie, Russian Doll, Lost in Space, Dark, Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt, The Umbrella Academy, Dogs in Space, Disenchantment, Orange is the New Black (though I have only seen 3 seasons), The Haunting of Hill House, The Kominsky Method, Grace and Frankie, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, The End of the ******* World, American Vandal, Master of None, Patriot Act with Hasan Minaj, Living with Yourself, F is for Family, Ugly Delicious, The Politician (though I've only seen the first season), Squid Games, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the Witch (minus the last season, unwatched), Harvey Girls Forever, Centaurworld, Kid Cosmic, Mindhunter,

I'm getting bored and those were only the Netflix-produced series I can find off the top of my head.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 10:57 am
Manifest season 4 release date coming on Netflix

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 11:06 am
Into the Night Season 3 fans and followers want to know everything about Into the Night Season 3 Netflix release date, cast, plot, trailer & more.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 11:20 am
Today we'll talk about Black Summer Season 3 release date
and when will Black Summer Season 3 Trailer be released.

Published June 17, 2021

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2022 09:31 pm
The 10 Best Sci-Fi Shows Currently On Netflix

By Joe Lipsett

Published August 26, 2021

Quote:
If you're looking for the best sci-fi series, there's no shortage of great content on Netflix. In its quest to retain existing viewers and entice new subscribers, the streaming service has quietly gobbled up an outstanding collection of the best sci-fi TV series the medium has to offer.

If you're looking for the best sci-fi series, there's no shortage of great content on Netflix. In its quest to retain existing viewers and entice new subscribers, the streaming service has quietly gobbled up an outstanding collection of the best sci-fi TV series the medium has to offer.

However, as anyone who occasionally suffers from decision paralysis knows, the vast array of options on Netflix can make it difficult to figure out what's worth the time and investment. That's where this guide comes in! Rather than simply cataloging a list of heavy-hitters, my goal is to help you narrow down options with a selection of titles — some familiar, some unexpected, and a few that have flown under the radar — to help you find whatever you like.

In the mood for a dystopian future? Perhaps a grounded exploration of an alien occupation is more your speed? How about a philosophical take on trauma, replete with dance numbers? Regardless of what you're in the mood for, this list of the best sci-fi series on Netflix has got you covered. Go forth and get your binge on!

The 100

When "The 100" debuted on the CW back in 2014, it was written off as yet another YA series. The adaptation of Kass Morgan's dystopian book series quickly proved naysayers wrong, though, and captivated audiences with its mix of smart storylines and flawed characters.

"The 100" follows a group of teens who are branded criminals by the adult lawmakers on the space station where the last vestiges of humanity live. As punishment, they're sent to Earth, whose surface is believed to be inhospitable due to environmental catastrophes. What the sexy teens quickly discover, however, is that not only has a pocket of humanity survived on the planet, but a whole new world order has emerged.

What helps set "The 100" apart from other sci-fi series is the tension between traditional YA tropes and the show's willingness to engage in murky moral and political topics. Amidst the usual love triangles and the familiar sci-fi trappings, the characters on "The 100" frequently grapple with life and death situations that threaten the survival of the group. The outcome is often complex, unanticipated, and fatal (seriously, "The 100" killed off a lot of characters over its seven year run). And that makes for one hell of an entertaining series.

The 4400

With a reboot for the CW already in production, there's no better time to get caught up on the original run of "The 4400." The original series ran from 2004 to 2008 on the USA Network and had a killer hook: 4,400 missing people from throughout history all mysteriously reappear on a single day, now equipped with a variety of powers and, seemingly, with a mission.

What makes "The 4400" great is how accessible it is. Despite the time travel and the super powers, this is soft sci-fi that gives as much screen time to the returnee's mysterious agenda as it does to the relationships between characters. For audiences drawn to the former, there are the political mind games played between human investigators Tom Baldwin and Diana Skouris (played by Joel Gretsch and Jacqueline McKenzie) and returnees like Billy Campbell's messianic Jordan Collier. For fans of the latter, there is the burgeoning romance between Mahershala Ali (then unknown) and Laura Allen, who play star-crossed lovers.

While the show's mythology becomes convoluted and messy in its back half, "The 4400" is an eminently watchable sci-fi series that goes down easy. Plus, it gets bonus points for being recognizably filmed in Vancouver, the shooting location of nearly every North American sci-fi show!

Black Mirror

With "Black Mirror," Charlie Brooker has delivered the closest thing contemporary audiences have to the biting, socio-political sci-fi commentary of "The Twilight Zone" and "The Outer Limits." The anthology series explores humanity's complicated and disturbing relationship with modern technology, usually with the aim of turning a critical lens back on viewers.

Because "Black Mirror" debuted in the UK before closing a deal with Netflix to cross the pond, there's a distinct difference between the first two seasons and the latter three (there's also a "choose your own adventure" entry called "Bandersnatch" that divided audiences into two camps: those who found it fun and experimental and those who find it bland and cloying). Still, one big selling point across all five seasons is the show's bevy of star power, from British faves like Toby Kebbell and Hayley Atwell to American superstars like Bryce Dallas Howard, Anthony Mackie, and Miley Cyrus. Seeing such recognizable faces in ultra-disturbing morality tales is half of the show's appeal.

The series' other asset is its anthology format, which privileges stand-alone storytelling; this has the effect of rendering each episode its own cinematic event. Don't like one story? Simply jump to the next. From vengeful robot dogs to predatory game shows and beyond, "Black Mirror" has a dark fable for everyone.

Colony

One of the best sci-fi series of the last five years is also one that seemingly flew under most everyone's radar. "Colony" aired on USA Network from 2016 to 2018 and starred Josh Holloway ("Lost") and Sarah Wayne Callies ("The Walking Dead") as insurrectionist parents raising three boys in Los Angeles during an alien occupation. One of the series' most fascinating conceits is that the aliens are barely glimpsed; while they preside over each colony like shadowy overlords, they rely on human proxies to do their dirty work.

If this concept sounds familiar, think of "Colony" as a four-season expansion of the New Caprica episodes from Season 3 of "Battlestar Galactica." Featuring stand-out action and insightful commentary about complicity, responsibility, and the wants of the few vs the needs of the many, "Colony" is a taut, tense series that remains (sadly) extremely topical in our current political moment.

Dark Matter

Considerably lighter in tone than the majority of titles on the list is "Dark Matter," a space heist series that aired on Syfy for three seasons from 2015 through 2017. The show is about a ship full of amnesiacs who discover they weren't exactly the kindest, gentlest people in their past lives (in fact they were scoundrels, cheats, and murderers). Now, these rogues travel the galaxy, making amends for their sins while dodging old acquaintances and past employers who want to make them pay for forgotten wrongdoings.

One of the joys of "Dark Matter" is not just watching these lovable grifters uncover their pasts, but how effortless and fun their various space adventures are. The series never takes itself too seriously, which makes for a light, breezy escapism that is sometimes missing from other, darker sci-fi series.

Come for the fun, engaging cast of Canadian genre veterans, including Melissa O'Neil ("iZombie"), Anthony Lemke ("Good Witch"), Zoie Palmer ("Lost Girl"), Jodelle Ferland ("Silent Hill"), and Roger Cross ("Continuum"); stay for the robots, the samurai, and the overly complicated time-travel shenanigans.

The OA

The best sci-fi series are unafraid to ask a lot of the audience. Enter Brit Marling's passion project, "The OA", which fits that description to a T. This two-season wonder accrued a cult fan base thanks to its unorthodox story about a small group of strangers who are abducted and held prisoner in a stranger's basement (Jason Isaacs, the Harry Potter films).

The series was created by Marling ("Another Earth") and her frequent collaborator, Zal Batmanglij, and debuted to little fanfare back in 2016. It's almost as if Netflix — and, by proxy, audiences — didn't entirely know what to do with a series about Prairie (Marling), who is revealed to be of Russian descent and was once blind. It wasn't until audiences became accustomed to the unconventional plot and unique narrative structure that "The OA" developed its reputation as something new and exciting. It doesn't hurt that over its two seasons, the show became renowned for pulling the rug out from under its audience, surprising viewers again and again.

And then there's the fascinating — or laughable — dancing (or "movements", as the show calls them). "The OA" centers around a series of performative dance moves that Prairie teaches her friends that seemingly have otherworldly powers. It's ... a lot, which is why the series is easily the most divisive series on this list ("The OA" was cancelled by Netflix in 2019). If you click with Marling and Batmanglij's particular brand of kooky, however, "The OA" is one wild ride.

Ragnorak

One of Netflix's strengths as a worldwide brand is its access to international productions that may have otherwise never made it to North America. The result has been a deluge of high quality foreign shows, including many sci-fi and horror series.

Norway's "Ragnarok" is a great recent example. The show debuted in 2020 and has run for two short (by North American standards) seasons of six episodes each. "Ragnarok" is a moody, mostly grounded take on the battle between gods and giants in Norse mythology (the same stories made exceedingly popular by Marvel as a result of the "Thor" movies). The series focuses on Magne (David Stakston) and his brother Lauritis (Jonas Strand Gravli), a pair of average teen boys who move to the town of Edda and immediately get swept into a historical battle. In many ways, the series plays on the conventions of the superhero genre, particularly how Magne emerges from his isolationist shell when he discovers his strength and confidence. "Ragnarok" is also noteworthy for its enigmatic, gorgeous villains: the Jutuls, a family (of sorts) of immortal giants who are polluting the environment for their own profit

"Ragnarok" is a delightful mix of the fresh and the familiar, adhering to storytelling conventions that North Americans will have no difficulty following while adding a fascinating international flavor. Throw in some gorgeous Norwegian scenery, and the series is perfect pandemic screening. It may even entice audiences to travel to Norway once the world reopens!

Sense8

Given the Wachowskis' penchant for big, bold storytelling, it's no surprise that "Sense8" has a sprawling narrative. The international series was epic in scope from its inception: the ambitious sister directing duo, along with their creative partner J. Michael Straczynski (creator of "Babylon 5"), worked with crews across multiple countries (eight in season one, 11 for season two) to tell the story of eight strangers scattered around the globe who share a virtual and emotional connection.

While "Sense8" narratively centers around a shadowy organization called BPO and its nefarious henchman Whispers, the empathy and connectedness of its characters is its true core (also: it has some kick-ass fight scenes). Over time, the universality of the human experience and the ways the characters loved and learned from each other became the series' defining trait.

One other reason to celebrate "Sense8": this is the only series on this list to feature fully fleshed-out, three dimensional queer characters in significant roles both behind and in front of the camera. In addition to the Wachowskis, two of the eight leads identify as queer, including trans actress Jamie Clayton and gay actor Brian J. Smith (who came out after the series wrapped). That's worthy of a Pride celebration or two.

Stranger Things

What more can be said about "Stranger Things," the mega popular Netflix original? After all, there's a reason why "Stranger Things" appears on everyone's list of the best sci-fi series. Not only is the period series one of the streaming giant's crown jewels in terms of reception and cultural impact, but "Stranger Things" almost single-handedly ushered in a wave of '80s nostalgia in genre entertainment. Armed with a banging synth score and memorably fearsome creatures, this story about a group of small town teens who uncover a secret government experiment plays like a throwback to the era when Spielberg, Lucas, and Amblin Entertainment churned out this kind of content on the regular.

While there are great adult actors on the show, including Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Sean Astin, and Matthew Modine, "Stranger Things" would be nothing if it weren't anchored by some of the most memorable child performers in recent years. It's not surprising that so many of the young cast have gone on to become bona fide stars in their own right, including Millie Bobby Brown ("Godzilla: King of the Monsters"), Finn Wolfhard ("Ghostbusters: Afterlife"), Maya Hawke ("Fear Street: 1994"), and Sadie Sink ("Fear Street: 1978")

From addicting storytelling to daring cliffhangers, "Strange Things" has high stakes and plenty of tension, and there are innumerable reasons why fans are actively counting down the days until the series returns in 2022. Thankfully there's a new season four trailer to keep us occupied — for now.

Travelers

Another oft overlooked sci-fi series is Eric McCormack's "Travelers," which combines time travel, body swapping and lots of conspiracies in one low-fi package. The titular travelers are agents from the future who take over the bodies of the newly dead, and who use their knowledge of what's to come to stave off cataclysmic disaster. Like a lot of good sci-fi content, the show balanced season-long arcs with case-of-the-week procedural episodes, which makes the show easy to dip in and out of.

Admittedly, "Travelers" occasionally struggles to balance its mythology episodes with the interpersonal drama, so your mileage may vary based on how invested you are in each character. Take, for example, McCormack's wife, who suspects his sudden mood change is because he's having an affair (snooze!), and contrast it with Marcy (MacKenzie Porter) and her shift from being developmentally disabled to highly cognitive, which gives the series one of its most emotionally resonant and morally complicated storylines.

At the end of the day, "Travelers" isn't as exceptional as many of the other sci-fi series on this list, but it does have a certain kind of comfort-food appeal. The show featured plenty of twists and turns over its three-season run, plus a nifty premise and relatable characters, that justify a recommendation. It's not particularly challenging, but at the end of a long workday, it may just be what you're in the mood for.

https://www.slashfilm.com/587730/the-best-sci-fi-shows-currently-on-netflix/

1. Forums
  2. » 1) Why is Netflix losing viewers? 2) Can you name (every) Netflix series that you ever liked?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:55:18