I paid $1.47 for a peach yesterday.

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:37 pm
It wasn't an especially big peach, nor even a particularly juicy or delicious peach. Just a regular peach. One dollar and forty-seven cents for a peach.

That's a lot, isn't it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,255 • Replies: 22
No top replies

barefootTia

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:42 pm
The price of everything is outrageous. This time of year you should be able to get a least two or three peaches for a dollar.

Maybe when you bite into it, it will have a golden pit inside.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:43 pm
I already ate it. No golden pit, but at least it didn't have a worm or any bugs in it. But still, $1.47. That's alot.
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:45 pm
http://www.wrgb.com/news/regional/regional.asp?selection=article_38046

Quote:
Bob King, who tracks agricultural issues for Cornell Cooperative Extension, says retail prices for eight pounds of peaches, should range from five to eight dollars.

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:47 pm
no bugs that were big enough for you to see that is.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:48 pm
By actually putting your money out for it and making the purchase you are only encouraging the seller to continue gouging peoples wallets. If you feel the price is too steep, unless it is something you need for medical reasons or some other substantial and legitimate reason just let it stay there. Did you need it so you good get the laetrile from the pit? Oh wait that was apricots wasn't it? What other absurdly overpriced items were they selling?

Anyway, if enough peachs rot they (the sellers) will soon learn to lower the price.
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:54 pm
The problem with the rising cost of fruit and vegetable crops maimed by harsh climates, is that when the crops are bountiful the following season they won't lower the prices.

Try switching to apples.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:14 pm
It wasn't that they cost so much in general. It is just this one little deli/grocery in my neighborhood. Most everything in there is a rip-off. I am not sure, but I believe I paid over $7.00 once for a pint of ice cream. I usually stay away from the bastards, but last night, I really had an urge, so I sucked it up and paid the exhorbitant price.

That's Manhattan for you.

$1.47 for a peach. Pffft...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:15 pm
Re: I paid $1.47 for a peach yesterday.
kickycan wrote:
It wasn't an especially big peach, nor even a particularly juicy or delicious peach. Just a regular peach. One dollar and forty-seven cents for a peach.

That's a lot, isn't it?

Was it worth it?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:19 pm
Was it worth it?

Hmmm...for $1.47, I got to eat the peach, which I wanted, plus I got to tell this fascinating story about what a rip-off it was...I would have to say...not yet, but I'm working on making it worth it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:29 pm
Let's see, we just got 5 or 6 peaches this evening for....what was it....? Oh yeah, free. Our neighbor's peach tree just about hits our windows.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:31 pm
anyone remember the Allman Brothers "Eat a Peach"?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:32 pm
I guess the alternative to walking to the corner grocery in Manhattan and paying $1.47 for a peach would be living in the crazy burbs and having to get in a car and drive somewhere to buy a peach for less.

You get to live in Manhattan, kicky. That more than makes up for the price of a peach.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:39 pm
Sometime in the future you will say "Wow, I just paid $9.98 for a peach. I remember when peaches were $1.47. Those were the good old days..."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:54 pm
I paid $29.99 for the peach tree I planted last spring.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 06:13 pm
Give a man a peach and he'll eat a peach. Plant a peach tree and you can loaf under it for decades.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 06:21 pm
or if you're one of the hamburgers' friends, you can guard it with an air rifle for a decade or so in hopes of saving a peach from the squirrels, and then go to the store to buy your peaches
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 06:31 pm
I still have that album...

That grocer probably has to pay serious lease money.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 06:46 pm
Can you really loaf UNDER a peach tree - the one's I've seen have been bred down to about 12 feet, tops.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 06:55 pm
That's an incredible story, kicky. 1.47 seems pretty steep to me.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I paid $1.47 for a peach yesterday.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 01:51:57