Upgrade to Windows 11 is ready for your PC

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2022 02:02 pm
I have this notice at the bottom of my screen. What would you do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 326 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2022 02:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Upgrade. You've ten days (I think) to go back to Windows 10. (That's then done automatically.)

However, Windows 10 will get updates still for some years. So, if you like it - keep it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2022 02:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, Walter.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2022 03:04 pm
I'm using a 2015 accounting program. I'm not at all sure it will continue to work with the upgrade. I'll probably stick with 10 till I'm forced to change.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2022 03:14 pm
@roger,
I doubt that would successfully upload, Roger. But it's just my uneducated guess.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2022 03:54 pm
@roger,

i would call them and ask.

they may have a W11-compatible software upgrade...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2022 07:00 am
I did it. The PC so far seems faster, but I didn't let them change the previous settings. Didn't sample Edge.
0 Replies

Bubbles66

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2022 04:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Upgrade. You've ten days (I think) to go back to Windows 10. (That's then done automatically.)

However, Windows 10 will get updates still for some years. So, if you like it - keep it.

This is reassuring to know.

I am on Windows 10. Just keep getting reminders to change to Windows 11.

So with what you have said Walter I will carry on with it for as long as possible.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2023 08:49 am

i got tired of getting constant "upgrade" notifications, so i took the plunge.

the good news is you don't lose any files, bookmarks or favorites.

the bad news (for me, at least) is they replaced the words Cut, Copy, Rename, Share and Delete with icons when you right-click a file

https://iili.io/HcrItwu.jpg

that takes some gettin' used to...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2023 06:17 am

one win11 setting i wish i could change is how open tasks appear in the taskbar.

i prefer to see everything that i have open, as opposed to the "stacked icon" default setting in win11.

i've gone over the settings many times, to no avail.

win10:
https://iili.io/HXMDizv.jpg
when something's open, it shows a wide icon

win11:
https://iili.io/HXMDmdX.jpg
when something's open, it shows a dash under the icon

wondering if they got rid of the wide icon setting...

help?
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2023 09:14 am
@edgarblythe,
To keep what I wrote short. There is no point for Windows 11 to exsist at all.
Just to fill Microsofts pockets and force students to make purchases for a program that could otherwise run on Windows or alternative operating system via USB ( like Unbuntu ( or Damn Small Linux ) or OSX Snow Leapard ( or lion ), or Windows ( 10, PE, and so forth ) ). I find it insane.

Just to recap.

DOS more or less is just UNIX is. A command-line operating system. If Windows was built on top of UNIX most of the problems we have today would be gone, and OSX would have not been so hot. OSX is just a GUI built on top of UNIX ( which gave rise to Linux and then Android ( which was brought and butchered by Google ). Imagine a 64-bit Windows 9x with no lame account screens.

Windows XP and it's updates was all that was needed. They even made a 64-bit version ( that runs quite well ). It is not perfect, but holds many functions today without many problems. Many 64-bit versions of programs will run on the 64-bit Windows XP which gives you way more speed based on the processor and Memory installed. Some programs/applications will look for definitions and not run ( checking OS version ), which can be spoofed/fool/tricked into running. Checking OS version is a consumer tactic used since DOS v. MS-DOS days. Where Microsoft forced people to purchase MS-DOS which was really DOS with a couple of edits. That being said with Visual Basic ( you know BASIC ) versions being made it prevents those programs being created on later versions to be backwards compatible
with earlier Windows releases even if these programs are supported due to loss of dependencies. 2009 ( or was it 2012 ) was t he last version to output .exe over .net? Thus Microsoft makes programmers unable to make-backwards compatible programs/applications that works cross previous windows versions via the primary tool "Visual Basic". You can get your free version of this via the community version.

Vista was to address those problems in XP but more or less was too-perfect and underfire for being a better XP. However people made complaints over the MS-Office suite functionality.

A big issue with Microsoft from the XP years was the .thumb ( thumbnail files ) as you can use a command to browse any computers files with this one file. You do not need to have access to a persons files, or be connected with the computer. You just need that one file, and a specific command. This is once again a problem ( even in OSX releases ) but they .tb .thumb is usually one big file and sometimes used via indexing options.

Indexing was a problem on mechanical drives. Same with firefox indexing pages ( reupdating pages ). This is taxing on the hardware and make your machine use more energy ( joules ) then it needs. This is why indexing should be turned off when using regular hd and not ssd. SSD is a little safer but the heat-levels could rise too fast, forcing you to purchase more expensive model drives. OSX eliminated this problem by indexing the files and having the user move around a pointer in the HFS+ formated instead of the file physical location. In Windows when you move a file in NTFS or any other format it will physically move the file location on the drive as there is no pointer., However file recovery is almost impossible with the Apple machines, where files could be recovered but the names would be impossible to read.

Windows 7 can be upgraded to 202X version. That is right Windows 7 is fully up gradable to be usable with windows 10 programs without losing windows 7 functionality, and is less weighted. Which is why people stick with it even now. Also Windows 10 updates past 2016 removes many useful tools and programs only found in windows 7, and earlier versions of Windows 10.

Windows 8 introduced metro. This was when Microsoft was in the phone market and pushed the idea for tablets. Basically Windows 10 with metro and those problems associated with 8.

Windows 10 itself went through three or four editions, you can activate it but even that is limited. Unlike Windows 7 does not have glass. Plus they have removed functionality from 10 over the course of time. If you upgrade too much you might not be able install FLASH. I attempted to update my Adobe flash to animate and I had to "Win10PE" ( replace a file via turning off the operating system via another operating system ) to get back flash. I am using a variant of Windows 10 2004. It was impossible to install updates ( smaller ones ) because Microsoft removed that update, and in order to apply any updates I had to "Win10PE" just to get those updates functioning. My only problem is that I can not have regular *virus-software.

All windows virus software does is protect the program vendor and not the user interest. Most virus threats via website or mails is non-concerning and
could be remedy via using a NO-script solution and actually reading before you click something. I could even suggest using an android device with Virustotal installed if your are unable to tell the difference between a
good and or bad file ( but not to let it scan the entire system ). Malewarebytes ( old version aka the non adobe fee system ) is possibly the better usage.

A word about quickenbooks. Quickenbooks now uses a fee-system but it is still possible to use fully packaged box versions and do your business. Quickenbooks installs of information all of your computer along with an account to be used with the program itself. It is almost impossible to clean all traces of it and have a fresh install. Once you go online even while Quickenbooks it will call-home-base over and over ( like an android application running in the background even when it is not in use ). However people use it for doing taxes often. Also if you know Excel or Access then you should be able to learn Quickenbooks easily along with doing taxes. I advise people to keep a different computer ( or even a virtual machine ) for using quicken books as it is hard to scrub off your machine. Many of my clients ask me "Do I know quicken books" It is the same with "know taxes".

Windows 11 is not really upgrading at all. The fact there is no real FLASH past SWF2, how they tried to integrate support for linux applications via the Virtualization. All of which is available in windows 10 through actual programming means.

The flat fact is that I was able to get Windows 11 ( without TPM ) installed via virtualbox on my Windows 10 machine. It is more about Microsoft trying to choke money out of it's users with the idea of

Newer is better
Buy buy spend spend
Playing into peoples religious mentalities
Forcing you to relearn bs again.

There is no reason at all to get Windows 11. It is like buying the same thing over and over again. There is nothing "better" about this version at all, and if so then it must be on a programming scale. With Windows 10 updates from the original 2016 release they removed tons of programs, and with the last couple of releases they botched SWFlash, and literally turned IE into Chrome

IE is now a worst ( Chrome ) browser then the Chrome ( Samsung Internet ) on your phone. The only browser that actually functions is a "FireFox" Based browser that has nothing to do with Chrome. That being "said" you might as well use

WaterFox
Basalisk
PaleMoon ( which one has a flash supported release )
MyPal

Chrome = Google and we want google out of our lives unless it has to do with using their online tools ( like their free phone, email, sketchup-online, and others. Google even canned it's Websites ( google-sites ), which removed tons of informational pages made by users. Google also works directly with law-enforcement agencies, as with the 2009-2012 key crisis ( where the government literally forced email providers to provide backdoor keys to the servers ( so they could access your mail information ) as those servers are private. Same problem with the Linked-in, and Playstation customer data-theft. So you have "fake-users" using accounts of people who are possibly deceased. The fact you also have people who broke into google accounts in order to use fake gift-cards

HTTPS is garbage is as well and only serve to provide a positive in google safe searches, HTTPS actually cost web-masters/designers/programmers/maintainers money. It is like Car-insurance being forced on drivers. Serves no real purpose outside of web-browsers that does not support the function.

Do not upgrade Windows 11 unless your employer needs you to have a windows machine. Even so your employer should be able to provide you with the necessary machines/devices/phones/apps/networks. Microsoft needs money. Computer makers wants to sell you TPM/TMP whatever garbage. Their are tons of machines you could use for your particularity need.

This is not "lord of the rings" AKA "One Computer to rule them all" bs. Reality is that you could have five phones, two big machines, and a couple small labtops to serve a specific purpose.

One is my typewriter.
One is my data-finding-device
One is my work machine for high-end processing.
One is my tv-toy ( videogame ) machine
One is my DVD player with no region lock.
One is my home phone,
One runs video through my home ( like at weddings ).
One I do my taxes
One I keep in my office

I know this actress who brought that curvy sexy Apple machine just to write her resume. Think about it, she brought a computer to do what a person could setup a Samsung Galaxy phone to do from 1.0 via an display via Mirroring or HDMI setup.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Upgrade to Windows 11 is ready for your PC
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 06:46:47