Baldimo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:56 pm
Source
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should ABC have given airtime to a known terrorist? If this had happened in the US with bin Laden what do you think the results would have been?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,472 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Glorius

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:17 am
As far as I know USA officials protested when Al-Jazeera showed the interviews of the less wanted terrorists...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:40 am
This is beyond an outrage and a blatantly unfriendly act...I believe a pre emptive strike is called for... pack your gear soldier...it's clobberin'
time.
0 Replies

Glorius

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 08:47 am
The most important objective of terrorism is to attract public attention. Without press attention terrorists are powerless. Terrorists will not explode the bombs or kill innocent people in most of the cases if press wouldn't tell about that. Of course, it is impossible to remain silent about terrorist's attacks, but there are no reasons to let them popularize their ideas as well.

ABC accomplished an irresponsible act to raise the rating and popularity and to earn many a little bit..
0 Replies

BreatheThePoison

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 08:58 am
Most of the time the media goes too far. Prying into subjects that dont need to be messed with. Everyone has a right to know things. I dont think it was right for ABC to broadcast such a strong political terrorist, esspecially when the things that he may say or do could sway people.

But i do believe that had the russian government tried a little harder they might have not only found a better way of dealing with ABC's aparent offense, but actually been able to used this televised interview to their benifit.
0 Replies

Glorius

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:07 am
BreatheThePoison wrote:
But i do believe that had the russian government tried a little harder they might have not only found a better way of dealing with ABC's aparent offense, but actually been able to used this televised interview to their benifit.

I do definitely agree with you. Russian officials show their incompetence and stupidity again. It cannot cause any reaction in the world just "new evidence of lack of democracy and freedom of speech in Russia". Instead of it, it was better to say something about ABC's lack of responsibility or something like that.

Basayev in interview just want to show that he actually is a good guy, but big bad country Russia force him to make unpleasant things. He relieves himself of responsibility of some terrorist attacks (though he had taken it before). And other issue... It seems to me that such of interviews let him to collect money from world terrorist sponsors...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 12:34 pm
i watched the basayev interview.

the guy is totally full of the same jive rationalizations and justifications as islamist, i.r.a., and anti-abortion, etc. i.e. terrorists.

the devil made me do it.

but, to me it seems like taping an interview and letting him say his thing is a good move in that it serves to de-mystify him, show him for what he is, and isn't.

really, anybody who would be encouraged to take up his cause from seeing this is, most likely, predisposed to do so anyway.

i found it interesting that although he seems to be the driving force, and encourages the use of violence, he was unwilling to accept the responsibility for his group's actions. instead he layed off the murders et cetera on his "commanders, who didn't follow my orders".

the russian reaction, while predictable, should remind us to keep an eye on what goes on between government and media in our own country.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:53 pm
What consequences if any would there be for a US news media outlet giving the same time the bin Laden?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:10 pm
What consequences would there be for a Russian news media outlet in the US giving the same time to bin Laden?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:21 pm
old europe wrote:
What consequences would there be for a Russian news media outlet in the US giving the same time to bin Laden?

Are there any Russian news media organizations that broadcast here in the US? Are they as major as ABC?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:23 pm
Yeah. Hypothetical question, but let me rephrase it:

What consequences would there be for the BBC in the US giving the same time to bin Laden in the United States?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 07:03 pm
I would hope that we would level some sort of punishment again whatever network did something like that. I don't think they should be removed from the country.

If they are going to arrange a meeting with someone like bin Laden they should let the authorities know so that we can pick him up. Anything else should be seen as helping him.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 07:05 pm
Baldimo wrote:
If they are going to arrange a meeting with someone like bin Laden they should let the authorities know so that we can pick him up. Anything else should be seen as helping him.

Maybe, maybe....

And what did Bush say about helping terrorists?
0 Replies

Glorius

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:18 am
Baldimo wrote:
What consequences if any would there be for a US news media outlet giving the same time the bin Laden?

I think it is impossible. But however if it is happen, I guess the boss will be discharged.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:14 pm
Baldimo wrote:

i think they should air his tapes, or even an interview. it would only show that he spews out complete nonsense like the other religio-political extremists around these days.
0 Replies