Why can't I sell my creations?

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2022 03:58 am
I am a pretty creative person and I love making things with my hand. I even went to art school when I was younger and got myself a degree. However, although people thought I had talent, I never tried to sell my paintings, never even tried to get a job in a creative field and was stuck in dead-end office work all my life. This is my biggest regret, never having tried.
Now I am making jewelry, hand moulded and decorated bead necklaces to be precise, and I take great pleasure in this. I'd love to be able to sell them online, if only to pay for the materials I use, but also to make a bit of money on the side as I am not too wealthy. Problem: I just can't. Something inside is stopping me from actually going ahead with it. Taking pictures, writing a description and generally going on with the selling process. I simply can't, and I don't know why. There is absolutely zero risk, my necklaces are not the best thing I've seen on sale, but to be honest definitely not the worst, so why?
Please tell me why if you know, this is the last chance I have to have a go and prove to myself I can do it. Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 245 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2022 06:07 am
@Serenidad,
Reread your penultimate sentence.

Now read it again.

There's your answer. Because unless you're dying tomorrow (and if you are, what the hell are you doing on an internet message board?), then it's not your last chance to do anything.

You are paralyzing yourself with that kind of pressure. And it's for no good reason.

So cut that **** out yesterday.

I'm a published author. My first novel was published when I was 51.

I also wrote for a long time--- and a writer's first million or so words are generally terrible. Artists have some sort of similar threshold. Your unconscious may be realizing you need more practice.

You would probably also benefit from some education, and I say that even though you've already had plenty. Because it can help with imposter syndrome.

I would also suggest taking a college-level course (you can audit it; this isn't for a grade) in marketing to help you learn how to communicate to your potential clientele about your wares. Because I can assure you (I work in marketing) that saying your stuff isn't the worst out there is not the way to go about it.
Serenidad

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2022 08:02 am
@jespah,
Thanks Jespa, your answer helped, particularly the mention of the imposter syndrome.
This makes me think of a woman potter once who spent years of her life making beautiful ceramics but, just like me, could never actually bring herself to put them on sale. Her exquisitely crafted objects were never good enough for her though, she endlessly sought perfection when, in my humble opinion, from what I could see there was no need. And, as an author yourself, I guess you know there are plenty of manuscripts lying in drawers, unpublished, because their authors feel they will be rejected anyway when in fact the world could be missing on a real masterpiece. I'm sure there are millions of us out there, scared of going ahead Sad
I take your point though about taking a course in marketing, but it has a cost I simply can't afford. I've learnt of lot still with free internet courses (MOOC type), tutorials and so on, and the marketplaces are quite helpful.
Still, I think that, even with a doctorate in marketing (does that exist? Confused ), I would still be scared of going ahead and putting my beads on sale Sad
(Sorry about all the emoticons, my creative side popping up).
Also, congratulations on your publishing success!
jespah

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2022 08:41 am
@Serenidad,
You can always start small. Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2022 08:47 am
Sometimes, too, people think what they produce is unworthy for public consumption. Perhaps if you considered marketing them as if someone else had made them, you'd be able to find a way forward. Don't say you made them, just say you're the seller or middleman. It may be easier that way.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why can't I sell my creations?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 12:52:50