Black man spends days in jail after being mistaken for a suspect who is white and twice his age

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2022 07:51 am
Black man spends days in jail after being mistaken for a suspect who is white and twice his age

https://news.sky.com/story/black-man-spends-days-in-jail-after-being-mistaken-for-a-suspect-who-is-white-and-twice-his-age-12524857

Shane Lee Brown, 25, has accused two police departments in Nevada in the federal civil rights lawsuit of wrongful arrest and negligence.

Tuesday 25 January 2022 12:05, UK

https://e3.365dm.com/22/01/1600x900/skynews-comp-shane-neal-brown_5651934.jpg?20220125103443

Lt-rt - Shane Lee Brown and Shane Neal Brown
Image: Shane Lee Brown (L) was mistaken for older white suspect Shane Neal Brown

A black man spent almost a week in prison after US police mistook him for a suspect with the same name who is white and twice his age, a lawsuit says.

Shane Lee Brown has accused two police departments in Nevada in the federal civil rights lawsuit of wrongful arrest and negligence.

The 25-year-old alleges that Henderson and Las Vegas police detained him for six days after mistaking him for Shane Neal Brown when he was pulled over in January last year, NBC News reports.

The lawsuit claims that the mix-up began after the traffic stop, in which he failed to provide a driver's licence, prompting his arrest.

After he was pulled over, Brown "established his identity by providing his name, social security number, and social security card to the officer", the lawsuit states.

It adds: "While performing a records check, the unknown HPD Officers confused Shane Lee Brown with a different Shane Brown, a 49-year-old white man, who was the subject of an outstanding felony bench warrant for ownership or possession of firearm by prohibited person."

The younger Brown was held in the Henderson Detention Center from 8 to 10 January 2020. He was then transported to the Clark County Detention Center after a bench warrant issued by Las Vegas police certified that "Shane Brown" was the man wanted on the felony warrant, the lawsuit said.
More on Nevada

The lawsuit describes Shane Neal Brown as 5ft 11in with brown hair, blue eyes and a bushy white beard, and says he had been convicted of a crime in 1994.

Shane Lee Brown, however, is 5ft 7in and was not even born when the other Shane Brown was convicted, the lawsuit claims.

A judge authorized his release on 14 January 2020, after having been informed of his identity by public defender Shannon L Phenix, the lawsuit says.

The lawsuit added that the younger Brown had repeatedly told police officers and their supervisors that he was not the older, white Shane Brown who was wanted on the felony warrant.

In addition to the two police departments, the lawsuit also names Sheriff Joseph Lombardo, the head of the Las Vegas police, Henderson Police Chief Thedrick Andres, and the city of Henderson as defendants.

A spokesperson for Las Vegas police declined to comment on behalf of the department and Lombardo on Monday, citing "pending litigation".

Records show that the older Brown accepted a plea deal and was sentenced to up to six years in prison with credit for time served in February 2020.

Shane Lee Brown was not charged with any crime, and according to his lawsuit, is seeking a jury trial and more than $500,000 (£371,146) in compensatory damages.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 457 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2022 08:09 pm
And he should get it. That's unconscionably lazy and incompetent police work.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 07:44 am
@Mame,
This is just unbelievable police incompetence. It makes me believe there were one or more police employees just playing with this guy's freedom.

But if I were him, I'd get my ID/DL paper work up to snuff.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 08:43 am
@bobsal u1553115,
They've already started covering their backs, the BBC report said it was claimed he was lawfully arrested due to outstanding traffic tickets.

They will do their level best to bullshit their way out of this.
Mame

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 09:06 am
@izzythepush,
I don't think they can keep him in there that long for traffic tickets. If so, that's unconscionable, too. What if he had a job to go to or kids at home? No.. that's just another example of racism. There's no way that guy looks white or like the other guy.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 09:09 am
@Mame,
Of course it is, they're trying to cover their backs and will use as many bullshit excuses as they can.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 09:49 am
@izzythepush,
The warrants may have made the initial arrest SoP. However there was no due diligence in identifying the prisoner as to verifying his identity, of which he was not trying to hide at the station after the arrest. Like looking up the photo in the jacket of who they claimed he was.

I think the arrest wasn't racist on the face of it, I do feel that those who ignored the facts and the claims that the arrestee asserted to, and the obvious playing around with paperwork certainly was intentional and definitely racist.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Black man spends days in jail after being mistaken for a suspect who is white and twice his age
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 05:40:21