Detainees Sue Arkansas Jail That Gave Them Ivermectin to Treat Covid

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 08:30 am
Detainees Sue Arkansas Jail That Gave Them Ivermectin to Treat Covid

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/17/us/ivermectin-covid-arkansas-jail.html

For months, the jail’s doctor has promoted the drug, which health experts say should not be used to treat or prevent Covid-19.

By Eduardo Medina
Jan. 17, 2022

Detainees at an Arkansas jail who had Covid-19 were unknowingly treated by the detention center’s doctor with ivermectin, a drug that health officials have continually said is dangerous and should not be used to treat or prevent a coronavirus infection, according to a federal lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of four detainees.

The four men — Dayman Blackburn, Julio Gonzales, Jeremiah Little and Edrick Floreal-Wooten — say in the lawsuit that after testing positive for the coronavirus in August, they were taken to the “quarantine block” of the Washington County Detention Center and given a “cocktail of drugs” twice a day by Dr. Robert Karas, who runs Karas Correctional Health, the jail’s health provider.

The complaint, filed this month in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas, says that the men took the drugs — which Dr. Karas told them consisted of vitamins, antibiotics and steroids — unaware that they were actually ingesting ivermectin, an antiparasitic drug commonly used for livestock that the Food and Drug Administration has warned should not be taken for Covid-19.

Dr. Karas, Sheriff Tim Helder and the Washington County Detention Center — all named as defendants in the lawsuit — did not immediately respond to calls and emails seeking comment on Monday.

The American Civil Liberties Union said in a statement that the jail had been giving ivermectin to detainees as early as November 2020. In August 2021, amid surging demand for the drug, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that ivermectin was “not authorized or approved” for any type of Covid treatment.

Misinformation that ivermectin is effective at treating or preventing coronavirus infection has run rampant across social media during the pandemic, and the inaccuracies have led some people to overdose on certain formulations of the drug, according to the F.D.A.

Dr. Karas appears to have bought into the misinformation for months, saying in an interview in August that he used the drug himself when sick with Covid. He posted as recently as Dec. 24 on his practice’s Facebook page that he was using ivermectin to treat people with Covid.

“Guess we made the news again this week; still with best record in the world at the jail with the same protocols,” Mr. Karas said in a Facebook post on Saturday.

He added that “inmates aren’t dumb,” and that in the future other detainees would sue their facilities to request the “same treatment we’re using at WCDC — including the ivermectin.”

The lawsuit says the men “ingested incredibly high doses” of the drug while sick with Covid, causing some to experience diarrhea, bloody stools, Jan. stomach cramps and issues with their vision.

They became aware of what they were taking only after the sheriff told the Quorum Court Finance and Budget Committee of Washington County in August that detainees were indeed being treated for Covid with ivermectin, said Holly Dickson, executive director of the A.C.L.U. of Arkansas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 476 • Replies: 5
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 09:54 am
Interesting case, I'm looking forward to the details. I do have one issue with the NY Times reporting.
Quote:
The complaint, filed this month in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas, says that the men took the drugs — which Dr. Karas told them consisted of vitamins, antibiotics and steroids — unaware that they were actually ingesting ivermectin, an antiparasitic drug commonly used for livestock that the Food and Drug Administration has warned should not be taken for Covid-19.

Ivermectin is also an antiparasitic drug used for humans. Lots of drugs have dual use for humans and animals and there is no reason to believe the doctor in this case was prescribing the livestock version of the medicine instead of the human version available at the drug store (when they can keep it in stock). I think the idea that hospital doctors were experimenting on prisoners is enough without sensationalizing it.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 04:50 pm
@engineer,
I'm just a little more cynical. This is what happens when when we think having a person in a job of importance means that person is qualified to hold the position.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 02:41 am
@engineer,
What would swing it for me is where it is most used. If human patients accounted for half of the prescriptions for ivermectin pre Covid I would agree that the NYT article was alarmist.

If, it turns out that 95% of prescribed ivermectin was for animals then they would have a point, that it is a drug mainly used for animals with limited applications for humans.

I don't know what the truth of the matter is.
engineer

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 06:22 am
@izzythepush,
If someone said "the doctor prescribed ibuprofen, a drug commonly used for cattle," I'd find that off putting even though it is factually correct. I was listening to a podcast from a doctor (who did not support using Ivermectin) and he made the point that saying Ivermectin is for animals is both misleading and unnecessarily sensational. Those doctors using Ivermectin are using the human version approved by the FDA for human use. Of course there is no evidence it works for Covid, but it's not like they are raiding animal supply stores.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 06:45 am
@engineer,
I wasn't suggesting that the animal version of the drug was being prescribed but if its majority use is for animals then the NYT article was fair enough.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Detainees Sue Arkansas Jail That Gave Them Ivermectin to Treat Covid
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 06:28:55