Grammatical problem

Alex80

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 05:01 am
Hi everyone!
I'd like to write a letter to a friend giving him advice on how to get a job.But I came across some grammatical problems that are shown below:
"In the interview, you (should wear/ should be wearing) an informal suit....
The manager should feel you will be cooperative with your partners, and friendly to (people/ the people) you will contact with."
Can you help me, please?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 307 • Replies: 9
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 05:17 am
@Alex80,
The first two are both OK, but I would use should wear as it says the same thing with fewer letters.

The second one is the people. You're only required to be friendly to the people you meet in a professional capacity, outside of work you can be a right miserable bastard.

Many people are, if you're forced to keep a fake smile on your face during working hours you're not going to be grinning on the bus home.
0 Replies

Alex80

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 09:41 pm
Is it OK to say " you will contact with" ? What if I used " you will have contact with"? Which sentence is more natural? And why?

Mame

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 09:56 pm
@Alex80,
Alex80 wrote:

Hi everyone!
I'd like to write a letter to a friend giving him advice on how to get a job.But I came across some grammatical problems that are shown below:
"In the interview, you (should wear/ should be wearing) an informal suit....
The manager should feel you will be cooperative with your partners, and friendly to (people/ the people) you will contact with."
Can you help me, please?

I would say: The manager will expect that you will cooperate (or work well) with your colleagues (co-workers) and be pleasant to the customers.

And, as Izzy said, "you should wear"
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:02 pm
@Alex80,
You will contact, drop the have and with.

Or you will be in contact with.

0 Replies

Alex80

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 05:46 am
" your partners" (in a security company). Why did you replace the word" partners" with " coworkers or colleagues"? Is it incorrect?
More explanation please!!!
Mame

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 06:05 am
@Alex80,
Partners is generally used when two or more people have invested equal amounts into the company. Like attorneys. When you work WITH people, they are your colleagues or co-workers, NOT partners. When you work FOR people, they are your boss and you are their employee or subordinate.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 06:12 am
@Alex80,
People can be "partners in business" and that is a recognized term. But the people on the floor doing the work are not generally referred to as "partners", although they might "partner" with another worker for a specific task.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 07:53 am
co- workers

Customers or clients.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 07:58 am
@Alex80,
Co worker is an Ametican term, in the UK we say colleague.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Grammatical problem
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:59:18