A question about overtime rules.

Lkleve

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2022 12:22 am
Assume a game is in overtime. Team "X" wins the toss and gets the ball first. They go on a 15 play drive that eats up most of the ten minute overtime period. They kick a field goal as time expires. Since it was a field goal and not a touchdown, their opponent is allowed one possession to either tie the game or win it with a touchdown. The problem is the game time has expired. What does the rule state will happen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 228 • Replies: 1
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2022 07:19 am
@Lkleve,
I suppose it depends on the sport (I assume you are talking American Football). Here are the NFL rules. I think the red section answers your question.

OVERTIME RULES FOR NFL REGULAR SEASON

At the end of regulation, the referee will toss a coin to determine which team will possess the ball first in overtime. The visiting team captain will call the toss.

No more than one 10-minute period will follow a three-minute intermission. Each team must possess, or have the opportunity to possess, the ball. The exception: if the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown on the opening possession.

Sudden death play — where the game ends on any score (safety, field goal or touchdown) — continues until a winner is determined.

Each team gets two timeouts.

The point after try is not attempted if the game ends on a touchdown.

If the score is still tied at the end of the overtime period, the result of the game will be recorded as a tie.

There are no instant replay coach’s challenges; all reviews will be initiated by the replay official.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A question about overtime rules.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.07 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:48:40