Oriental Rug Salespeople

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:16 pm
Why is it the only people in America who sell Oriental rugs are Indian?

If you question this, take my word for it, for it's true. I saw a billboard the other day.

That's like me selling Sean John clothes.

Eh?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 591 • Replies: 12
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:21 pm
I saw one yesterday. As is usually the case, he was standing outside the post office with a little table full of little cakes and some ink drawings. Twenty dollars a cake so I didn't ask what he wanted for the art work.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:22 pm
Little surprise in the cakes? seems pricey
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:25 pm
from some website on the history of oriental rugs

The term "Oriental rug" simply means carpets from the East, but it is usually applied to hand-knotted rugs, produced in the wide area stretching from the Balkans in southeast Europe, over Turkey, North Africa, the Caucasus, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Turkestan and on to China.

since at least half the people on that list fit the rough description of "indian", that maybe one explanation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:28 pm
Many are Pakistanii professionals who dont take kindly to being called "Indian"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:55 pm
Remember that the old Orient Express terminated in Istanbul
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:58 pm
I worked for a rug merchant who was moroccan. The rug dealer next door was french and his wife was pakistani (exiled).

Slappy, I assume you mean Indians from India. Last time I checked, India was part of the Asian continent.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:45 pm
I've had a client for several years now who owns an oriental rug store here. He's from Turkey. Travels extensively, mostly to small Turkish villages as well as those in Iran and the other "-stan" countries. Doesn't think much of most rugs made in India. Even less of those made in China.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 12:00 am
We have two rug dealers near our store in downtown north north. Two anglo women run one and an anglo man and daughter run another. Lots of good rugs at both.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 12:01 am
Good - well, I don't know about good in the larger more critical rug world. But beautiful for themselves rugs.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 08:46 am
C'mon, stop messing with me. You mean to tell me Asian means something other than Chinese?

Go with the flow, here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 02:00 pm
Asian means much more than chinese alone.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:10 pm
Sarcasm.

Stupid Humor.

Slappy Doo Hoo.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Oriental Rug Salespeople
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/05/2024 at 03:16:57