Switch loop question

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 12:50 pm
Wiring new light fixture with direct power from the breaker as the feed in, a switch loop with multiple light fixtures and outlets linked (apparently), and the feed out. Finally got the fixture lit and working on the switch, but 2 other fixtures and one outlet on the switch loop stopped working after an hour or two. Other outlets and one ceiling ceiling fan on the switch loop are working fine. Is there something I'm clearly doing wrong, or is there something else I can try? This is an older house but the wiring is modern and no frequent tripping of breakers or anything.

Help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 582 • Replies: 12
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 01:23 pm
@Hsmith422 ,
It sounds like there are two loops running in parallel, likely with the ends wired together and one the ends has come undone. I would look at the places where you wired in, and check the wire nuts or screw connections.
hightor

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 02:04 pm
@Hsmith422 ,
No GFIs anywhere along the circuit?
Hsmith422

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 03:00 pm
@engineer,
Just took it down to check the connections. The neutrals were loose, but everything else was tight. I re-connected all of the connections just in case. Flipped the breaker back on and having the same issue still.
0 Replies

Hsmith422

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 03:07 pm
@hightor,
No outlets have the test/reset buttons, or otherwise appear to be gfci. Also, the one outlet that isn't functioning is in a bedroom. The two fans that aren't working are on two different floors and are in rooms that are not directly on top of each other. Everything else on the breaker is functioning as expected.
0 Replies

Hsmith422

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 05:36 pm
Update. Another fan on the same loop is now a 3 way switch? It wasn't before the new fixture installation. I turned it off, and the switches for the fixtures in the other rooms work. I don't know how to get them to all work at the same time, but the one that has to be off for the outlet and other switches to work isn't a fixture we need on very often.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 06:07 pm
Have you checked the transmuter to the power reduction facilitator?

Sorry. Had to ask.
roger

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 08:30 pm
@Mame,
I'm glad you did. Not to say I know what you are talking about.
Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 09:15 pm
@roger,
You do, too, you sly dog. You're the one who told me about it, remember?
roger

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 09:58 pm
@Mame,
I guess I'm getting old for real. I certainly don't remember that.
Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2021 07:12 am
@roger,
Remember what?
I’m shocked about all this switching around.
roger

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2021 02:42 pm
@Ragman,
I'm not even sure of what we are talking about.
Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2021 05:23 pm
@roger,
Some of us are talking about hiring a licensed electrician.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Switch loop question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 10:37:26