The state of our democracy featuring Professor Timothy Snyder.

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 06:45 pm
The state of our democracy featuring Professor Timothy Snyder.

Lecture and question and answer session.
https://youtu.be/q3nJrtKPI00

"The big lie, which Mr. Trump told and which lots of other people told, the big lie that he won the election, this is identical to the big lie of American history. The big lie of American History is that black people are not human beings. And the big lie of American History is what makes the big lie of Mr Trump possible. What he is saying is that I would have won if you hadn't counted all those fraudulent ballots, which is really saying I would have won the election if you hadn't counted those black people. I would have won the election if you only counted white people. Which is true."

"Big lies are incompatible with democracy because a big lie means that you don't trust the institutions, you regard many if not most citizens as being evil because they're part of the institutions."

"If we talk about the future of a big lie, in 15 years what will the United States be like if the people are still telling it, if people still believe that in 2020 the election was stolen, if major politicians are still saying that, will that country still be a democracy?
I think that's very unlikely, frankly."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 179 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 07:54 pm
@coluber2001,
I hope I'm not around to see that. Frankly, I think he's right.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The state of our democracy featuring Professor Timothy Snyder.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/15/2024 at 10:43:53