Crazy Russian hacker and a crepe maker.

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 04:22 am
There's a guy that's on Facebook a lot called the Crazy Russian Hacker. He's really quite entertaining. He buys a lot of stuff on eBay, chainsaws, knives, axes and mauls, MREs, silver and coins, and kitchen appliances and gadgets, a lot of kitchen gadgets. He demonstrates all the stuff and most of the time he succeeds and gives them raving reviews.

When he's cooking stuff, he's got a cockatoo, and a green iguana, and two Siberian Huskies that always want to be the center of attention especially when he's cooking something.

The Crazy Russian Hacker demonstrated an electric crepe maker. It's an odd thing. It looks like an upside-down pan, and you dip it while it's hot into a platter of prepared batter. The batter sticks to the pan and you put it on the stand, and it cooks the batter and makes a crepe.

So I bought one, dumb me. If doesn't work. When you dip the hot pan into the batter, it starts cooking the batter, and it ruins the batter.

But I got the itch for French cooking, and ordered a crepe pan online. It's huge, about 11 in in diameter, and it's coated with Teflon. It works like a charm, and it's easy to use. Crepes are easy to make. Crepes are like flour tortillas but a hundred times superior. They're flexible, tender, and very thin, and you can put anything you like on them.

I made a simple chocolate butter cream sauce. You add melted butter to some condensed milk and add a little cocoa, cool it in the refrigerator for a bit and, voila, chocolate buttercream. You just smear it on your crepe, fold it up and eat it. And then you gain a lot of weight. Don't forget that you gain a lot of weight.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 465 • Replies: 16
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 07:06 am
@coluber2001,
mrs F bought a similar crepe pan about 20 years ago. The teflon mix was more flouridated then and so it gradually lost its "teglon" properties. She bought a new one about years ago. Its a Calphlon and it works like a champ. The more vrepes you mak, the less attached ach crepe is when you flip em. We make a sim sauce except with Nutella. and fruits/
ith a dippa vanilla ice cream , Im in a sugar high.
love homemade crepes , she has added a bitof malt powder and these things are ven more intensely "Crepey"
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 07:13 am
@farmerman,
PS , I just looked up "Crazy Russian Hacker' on YOUTUBE. He was feeding watrmelon to his huskies. They really tor it up.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 07:13 am
@farmerman,
The pan is so big, 11 in, that I found it extremely difficult to flip it. I finally figured out that if you slide it onto a platter, place the pan on top of it and then invert the whole thing, it comes out pretty well. Crepes are pretty cool though, and it will be an adventure finding different fillings.
Mame

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 12:28 pm
@coluber2001,
You just run a slender spatular round the sides when it starts to brown, pick up the edge with your fingers and flip it over.

I make Cottage Cheese Blintzes, mostly, with fresh berries and sour cream. But they're good savoury, too - ham and cheese, crab, you name it. With a sauce, if you like. Another fabulous way to eat them is to drizzle lemon juice and sugar on top then fold or roll them up - supreme!
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 01:05 pm
@coluber2001,
We call those pancakes, and it is recommended you have a frying pan just for those.

Of all the different toppings I tend to go for plain old lemon or orange and sugar.

We have a day for it, when you have Mardi Gras we have Pancake Day.

Pancake Day, Pancake Day,
If you don't give us pancakes we'll all run away.

There's Pancake races, and all sorts of weird **** going on.
Mame

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 01:06 pm
@izzythepush,
What do you call Aunt Jemima pancakes then?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 01:26 pm
@Mame,
I wouldn't know, that's the first time I've heard term.
Mame

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 02:03 pm
@izzythepush,
I meant the fluffy pancakes people put butter and maple syrup on (Aunt Jemima, soon to have a name and image change, is a brand of fake syrup they eat in the US). What do you call those fluffy pancakes? Crepes are thin. North American pancakes are not. Do you guys eat those? Flapjacks?
Mame

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 02:06 pm
@Mame,
Here's what I'm talking about:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fluffyamericanpancak_74828
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 04:33 pm
@Mame,
And you've got your answer, American pancakes.

It's not something we have a lot of to be honest, if I was going to do something like that I'd do drop scones.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 06:24 pm
@Mame,
blintzy dough is like crepe dough, very simple an very wet. pancake dough usually has baking soda to make em really fluffy.It also imparts a metallic taste that I dont rally like. Crepe dough is mor like the stuff we us to mak waffles. no baking soda, no rise, nice and thin. the old french guy jaque pepaan? mixes more sugar in his dough and he uses more butter. we copied his way and i would scarf em down, his recipe isnt good for savory crepes
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 06:27 pm
@farmerman,
Mmmm - waffles Smile
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 06:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
yeh, waffles are really omething.But lotsa peopl us pancake (The fluffy kind) to make wffles and they should be not allowed to make breakfass.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 06:40 pm
@farmerman,
Any of these things under discussion can be eaten anytime.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 06:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
pancakes (southern tyle) arent too bad if they have malt, bukwheat and buttermilk so the cake is a bit denser. Thems ok, but not too much, they gt me kinda bloated feeling if the cook uses too much baking soda /powder and my stomach is too acidic.

crepes dont bloat ya.

Oh I saw aniother other of the crazy Russian this PM. i had him on a notebook at a coffee house we old farts hang out. He was trying to wash a husky an dog just kept howling lik a wolf.
I think I have a new "must see" bunch a guys on Netflix. Now Im getting loaded up with You tubers who raise Huskies and Malamutes . cool dogs
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 06:57 pm
@farmerman,
Some people put cornmeal in pancake mix. They are not my friends.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Crazy Russian hacker and a crepe maker.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:08:00