Smart Glasses, Smartwatches...? Anyone? Anyone?

Wed 22 Sep, 2021 07:11 am
Has anyone been tethered into the world of smartwatches? Has it replaced most of what you do with your smartphone? Or just supplement it? Do you only see using them for exercise and workouts? Tracking sleep seems a bit complicated when you take into account that they still need to be charged and the best time to charge something like this is overnight when you don't need a watch.

Would you consider being an early adopter of smart glasses? Have you tried them before? Do you consider them creepy and invasive?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 618 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

engineer

Wed 22 Sep, 2021 07:31 am
@tsarstepan,
I got a smartwatch for Christmas, my wife liked it so much she got one for her birthday. It definitely doesn't replace my phone, especially as my eyes aren't as sharp as they were in my youth. I like it because it tells time, notifies me who is texting or emailing so I know if something needs attention, tracks my exercise. It can function as a phone but it's only ok at that.

No to smart glasses. I just don't need to be that connected and for the few times I do, I have my phone.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 22 Sep, 2021 12:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Smart toothpaste. It automatically searches out cavities in your teeth,
fills then in, And hardens.

.t
maxdancona

Wed 22 Sep, 2021 06:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes! I had a job programming an application for the Smart Glasses. I was given several models that are basically Android devices (they use the same system as your phone). They have microphones which we used for speech recognition, and you can interact with them by touching the earpieces... although it was rather finnicky.

For specific professional applications, they are quite useful. My end users were packing high end merchandise in a warehouse setting and were getting specific information about each order. Having access to information without the need to take your hands from what you are doing is pretty useful.

I didn't find them very useful personally. After I played with them for a few days, I didn't see how they would add anything to my life. One of the models I was given to test was pretty comfortable and projected a very wide image... I did use that to watch movies in bed.

My verdict, they are cool as a toy for 2 or 3 days. But they don't add anything useful (unless you have a specific task for them).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 23 Sep, 2021 12:53 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Smart toothpaste. It automatically searches out cavities in your teeth,
fills then in, And hardens.

.t

Nanobots in your toothpaste? Not what I expected when I wrote this thread. We might be a long long way away from realizing this. Still? An intriguing idea.
0 Replies