Drive Through Voting. Really?

hightor

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2021 11:00 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
At what point do you think Derek Chauvin should vote again?

I think he should have his right to vote reinstated when he's released from prison. That's what the Minnesota law states.

I think it would be better if all state laws were in conformity. If we wish to allow convicted felons to vote from prison it should be uniform across the country.

As far as whether voting should be obligatory, I haven't given it a lot of thought and can't give you a firm answer. I can definitely understand the reasoning behind it; I know it's done in Australia. But this is the USA and I can see it becoming part of another f***ing culture war, like getting vaccinated. I'm not too concerned about "Proud Boys, and incels, and neo-Nazis and sex offenders" voting as I don't think they have the numbers to make much of a difference. They already have the right to vote and I imagine that some of them do.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2021 11:57 am
@hightor,
I don't like the fact that a 30 second TV ad can change the mind of a large number of voters. Elections shouldn't be decided by TV ads.

I don't like the fact that so many voters cast their votes based on misinformation. When voters who belive that covid isnt real then vote.based on that belief, it seems wrong. Elections shouldn't be based on misinformation.

That is why I don't think that cajoling and threatening low information voters to vote anyway is a good thing.
hightor

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2021 12:20 pm
@maxdancona,
Good points. I think I understand. But I don't know how we can implement reforms that would address those issues. Modern anti-government sentiment has been brewing since Reagan and politicians, as a class, are despised. Campaign financing is decried as "welfare for politicians". The dissemination of misinformation is celebrated as "free speech". Political campaigns generate huge profits for powerful media companies which might feel their bottom line is threatened if reforms were instituted.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2021 01:15 pm
@hightor,
The "dissemination of misinformation" IS free speech.

It is the responsibility of the voter to look thoughtfully at the issues and decide what is real information and what is fake. It is not a good idea to have government and private institutions do the thinking for voters.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2021 01:16 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Explain why a law restricting drive through voting counts as an "attack on Democracy"?

Where did I say that?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2021 01:27 pm
@InfraBlue,
I guess you didn't. If you don't hold the belief Republican legislation to ban drive through voting is an attack on democracy the I misattributed this to you. I apologize.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:17:47