Mail

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2021 03:21 am
Good morning. Being over 60, I am rather stuck in my ways. I like the programs I like and particularly dislike the way I am being forced to drop them in favour of ones being forced on me by the likes of Microsoft. Internet Explorer is an example. I have never had one issue with it and I do not want to go through the process of learning how another browser operates.

My problem today concerns a program called 'Pop-Peeper'. I have been using it for years and it has worked great. I have had to install it numerous times as I refreshed my computer with a Windows re-install or built a new computer. Never had a problem. It is one of them programs that I depend on regularly, every 3 minutes in fact, as it notifies me immediately I have any new messages in any of my e-mail accounts. Most important if I am trying to privately purchase an item online from a seller as if I don't reply swiftly, it may get sold to another buyer. It's so slow having to log into Yahoo every time to see if anything has come in so having a mail notifier is a godsend.

Last week my pc suffered a bad crash. In fact I lost Terrabytes of saved materials. It appears that the boot drive was also affected and would no longer boot. I rebuilt from scratch - needed a good clean anyway. All 4 hdd's, nvme and m.2 ssd are now up and running again. I've re-installed all of my favoured programs including 'Pop-Peeper' but it just won't access my 3 Yahoo.co.uk accounts despite multiple checks to ensure login and password were correct, changing Server Type to IMAP, select SSL which is installed and entering "imap.mail.yahoo.com" as the Incoming Server.

As I say, the program worked perfectly, using the above settings, until the crash last week. I've spent a good few days 'googling' and going over the settings. Nothing is different from previous installs but it still can't access my 3 accounts.
I have also downloaded and tried PopTrayU and EmailTray with similar results. I suppose it's possible that Yahoo have put in some blocker or something but as they don't display an e-mail address, I can't contact them.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
George.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 274 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2021 04:55 am
@solopunter,
You probably won't want to hear this. But if you are using a program (any program, not just this one) which hasn't been updated since the advent of several iterations of Windows, it is going to get harder and harder to get it to work.

Fortunately, you should be able to solve this by enabling desktop notifications on Yahoo. They're probably under the gear wheel.

And before you claim that I am too young to understand your issue, I assure you that I graduated high school when Jimmy Carter was still president.
engineer

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2021 05:30 am
@jespah,
I also worry about security. These old programs are ripe for virus attack.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mail
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 04:23:25