The use of "cost"

CWang

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 08:36 pm
Hello everyone, I'm a English learner. I just encountered some questions.
Is it okay to say "It cost Tom $50 to book a standard room in the hotel." without any context? I was arguing it with my friends. They say the word "cost" is used in past tense, while I'm confused for this isolated sentence could not suggest any marks that can prove it is used in past tense. Are their words reasonable? I think there should be some time indicators like "yesterday", "last Friday", etc. Hope for your suggestions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 311 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 08:50 pm
@CWang,
Yes, "cost" here is past tense. It doesn't need context, the tense of "cost" is all you need although when he paid it isn't defined.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 05:26 am
@CWang,
Yes, there are a handful of words where the present tense is the same as the past tense. Most of them end with the letter t or the letter d. We just use them as is and they rarely cause confusion.
0 Replies

CWang

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 02:49 am
@engineer,
That really helps, thanks a lot.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 01:54 pm
@CWang,
This morning I read able2know. It hurt me to see so many downthumbs. It cut me and upset me.

A while ago people cast me as just an average troll. In the past I spread my ideas but that undercut their beliefs. So they shed any sense of civility and spit on decency.

Since them I have always broadcast my ideas freely. But I have never fit in the clique here. If never really let them get under my skin.

You think I might have quit. But I never was wed to that idea.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The use of "cost"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:19:03