Compliant Drivers License Issue

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 07:07 pm
I had to renew my driver's license this year and I decided just to get the new compliant one before the 2023 deadline.

It's not easy.

I thought the problem would be legally remarried. Oh no, that's easy, just show the marriage abstracts of both marriages and I was good to go. (Luckily I didn't burn the first one at the time of divorce.

Here's the issue. My first name is actually a nickname my mother gave me at birth. My birth certificate says one name but I've never been called that. Any school records have the nickname, my social security card, the current driver's license, my DD-214, college transcripts, credit cards, mortgage, bank accounts, household bills, car titles, even my children's birth certificates are all in the nickname. I don't have one shred of paperwork the ties me to my birth name.

The clerk at the DMV refused to issue a DL in my nickname. Whether it's the compliant one or regular, it has to be the name on my birth certificate, And because it was expiring, I had no choice but to get it issued using the birth certificate name.

So now, I have a DL in one name and a SS card in another.

How much of an issue is it to resolve this? Can I just leave it as is & have 2 different ID's saying two different things?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 306 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 07:13 pm
@neptuneblue,
Maybe go over her head to a supervisor and explain the situation and show all your ID and ask for a re-issue. She might just be one of those non-thinking govt employees who's a stickler for the rules and can't think on her own.

And what was your nickname? Neppie? Tuna? lol
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 07:25 pm
@Mame,
She was the supervisor, head of that particular DMV so I was kinda stuck.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 08:14 pm
I had a similar problem. For a while I had different names on different places and no one seemed to care (my "legal" name was close enough to my name). Then I had a problem with a passport and drivers license. I argued for a bit but the higher up it went the more difficult the beaurocracy became.

I ended up paying about $135 to get a legal name "change" and had to go to court. It was a pain in the ass, but worth it.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 11:06 pm
@neptuneblue,
Is that as far as you can go? Neppie?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Compliant Drivers License Issue
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:17:08