Scrabble Statistics

Gene223

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 05:41 pm
There are 100 tiles in a Scrabble game. There are 8 “O’s” in the set. Each player starts out with 7 tiles. What is the probability of having 4 O’s in one’s possession on the first draw? What is the probability as the game goes on and tiles get used? That is, what is the probability that during the game you will have 4 O’s? Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 499 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 07:28 pm
@Gene223,
Should be a standard math problem (and it's been a while since I've done math like this, so please bear with me. I'm sure @engineer can show a much more elegant solution). In any event, for every tile, there's a 1% chance of it turning up.

We treat the duplicates as interchangeably but, IIRC, probability does not.

So let's call the O tiles:
  1. Alpha O
  2. Beta O
  3. Gamma O
  4. Delta O
  5. Epsilon O
  6. Zeta O
  7. Eta O
  8. Theta O

There's a 1% chance that you'll get a Theta O, and there's a 1% chance that you'll get a Delta O. There are lots of combinations where you can get four O tiles. It could be, for example, Delta O + Eta O + Epsilon O + Zeta O. Or it could be Beta O + Zeta O + Gamma O + Theta O. Or anything else.

Your chance of getting Zeta O is 1%. Your chance of getting Delta O is also 1%.

Pulling 4 O tiles can be in combinations such as:
  • Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta
  • Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Epsilon etc
For each set of three O tiles, there are five possibilities for the fourth tile.

Also IIRC, the pulling of, say, the Gamma O does not change the probability of pulling the Beta O. They're both 1/100, AKA 1%.

I think it throws people off when you consider duplicates. But consider any combination of 7 letters. Let's say it was the letters to spell the world pickles (you can tell what I had on the side at dinner tonight). Those letters all also have a 1% chance of being pulled.

Anyway, I suspect engineer will show me the error of my ways but my belief is that it's just 7%.
0 Replies

fobvius

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 06:15 am
@Gene223,
There are 8C4 times 92C3 ways of selecting 4 letters O in 7 random letters at the beginning of the game out of the 100C7 possibilities. Given that subsequent letter collection is not a random variable in scrabble the answer to the rest of your question is indeterminate.
Gene223

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 09:29 am
I may have been remiss in my original post. I failed to provide the distribution of tiles in the population. There are 9 "A's", 2 "B's".... So in a draw of 7 without replacement, what is the probability of getting 4 "O's"? (There are 8 "O's" in the population)

A - 9
B -2
C - 2
D - 4
E - 12
F - 2
G - 3
H - 2
I - 9
J - 1
K -1
L - 4
M - 2
N - 6
O -8
P - 2
Q - 1
R - 6
S - 4
T - 6
U - 4
V - 2
W - 2
X - 1
Y - 2
Z - 1
? - 2
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 10:36 am
@fobvius,
fobvius wrote:

There are 8C4 times 92C3 ways of selecting 4 letters O in 7 random letters at the beginning of the game out of the 100C7 possibilities. Given that subsequent letter collection is not a random variable in scrabble the answer to the rest of your question is indeterminate.

Fobvious is correct. All you care about is "O" and not "O" (the letters printed on the other tiles are irrelevant.

To elaborate a bit on what fobius. You will be selecting four tiles of which 8 are "o" (that is the 8C4). And 3 tiles of which 92 are not-"o" (that is the 92C3). You multiply the two to ensure that both happened.

Then you divide by the number of possible combinations (which is 100C7).

A good calculator will have combinations as a built in function. If not, you can do out the math by using this page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination
maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 10:43 am
@maxdancona,
The answer I get is 0.00054915299

That is about 1 in every 2000 times.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Scrabble Statistics
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 07:10:58