Changing Carreers late in life

Reply Wed 5 May, 2021 04:13 pm
I don't know to whome this post is written to but maybe there's someone out there that needs some motivation so here goes.

I've been an IT guy since 2007. Been working in IT since I finnished college. I never had a passion for it... it was just the way life was intended to work out for me, a 24 year old kid at the time.

So I worked my ass off, had great success, my parents were proud, but at the end of the day, I always felt unfulfilled. I thought that maybe that wasn't the best IT field for me, so I changed fields, from development to analyst, from .Net to VB, from SQL Server to Oracle, from small companies to large companies. I always wanted something different that would get me more motivated.

I always felt, at the end of the work day, that I never helped anybody to be a better person, to better themselves.

I never wanted to talk about work.. my college buddies when we got together, would love to talk shop, discuss work issues, how they got over them and I couldn't care less.

So... 2020 comes, working from home, my wife says that she's concerned about me... she always sees me unmotivated, stressed out and doing something that I initially tolerated and have now come to hate.

So now, at 38, I changed my carreer path.. I left IT behind. I am now following my passion... I want to help people. And I want to do that through sports and exercise (another passion of mine). So I enroled in a professional sports trainer course and my aim is to get people moving. Specially old people, disabled people, people that really need help.

Next week, I will start my internship, and here I am 38 years young, as motivated as I've ever been, happy to wake up early and help people!

if you feel unfulfilled, ask yourself if you're doing everything to make your life better, and to make yourself happy.

Life isn't about accepting your current situation and keep going until you die.

Change things up, work hard, you are worth it.

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 382 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 5 May, 2021 05:07 pm
Interesting story, and good for you, and I commend you for putting it out there and sharing.

But I had to laugh at your title "Changing careers late in life" when you're only 38.

I changed careers several times, the last one at 55, until I retired in late 2019.

Again, good on you for sharing.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 May, 2021 05:18 pm
@Mame,
Yeah haha. 38 doesn't even count as middle age. I started in IT, changed to science education, and now I'm back in IT. It didn't work out for me, but I don't regret one bit having tried out a different career.

Good for you! I wish you the best.
emmeesse

Reply Thu 6 May, 2021 04:19 pm
@Mame,
Thank you so much for your response.

It is actually very motivating for me. Well, I'm 38 years old... that's as old as I've ever been... when I was writing the post, I was directing it towards 30 year olds that may have some fears of changing carreer paths, as I did when I was 30... maybe if I had access to a 38 year old to give me this pep-talk, maybe I'd had taken the plunge earlier.

Anyway, Even though I'm 100% commited to this carreer change, I can't help but have some fears creeping in from now and again.

So your story gives me even more strength focus!

Thank you.
emmeesse

Reply Thu 6 May, 2021 04:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank you for your response sir and motivation.

Whish you all the best!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 6 May, 2021 06:33 pm
@emmeesse,
my pleasure - and have fun! Life is too short not to.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Changing Carreers late in life
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 06:47:57