Help with a title?

Tue 4 May, 2021 02:55 am
I'm writing a novel about a tomboyish girl. Her boyfriend often affectionately refers to her as "tough" which I used as a working title at first but I wanted something a little more catchy and original while sticking to the "tough" theme. I've thought of something like "Tough Girl" or a different spelling like "Tuff" or "Tough Princess" but nothing seems to fit. But I figure it's appropriate enough because much of the story is themed around her guy's underending admiration around her grit, at least this is the word that just keeps coming up for me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 400 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed
No top replies

izzythepush

Tue 4 May, 2021 03:38 am
@The1Barbie,
What about Grit?
Linkat

Tue 4 May, 2021 06:13 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

What about Grit?

True Grit === damn that already been used!

How about "Tenacious"
farmerman

Tue 4 May, 2021 12:19 pm
@The1Barbie,
I would only submit that "Tuff" be used were she a geologist in training or a rock hound
0 Replies

Joeblow

Tue 4 May, 2021 12:22 pm
@The1Barbie,
Moxie
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 4 May, 2021 12:28 pm
@The1Barbie,
"Tough Love"? Or you could just write the novel and let your editor suggest a title.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 4 May, 2021 12:33 pm
I notice that the titles of many novels have almost relationship to the actual story. Just a phrase grabbed seemingly at random.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 4 May, 2021 12:36 pm
@The1Barbie,
You could always name it after the place it’s set, street, town, area, cafe, wood, wherever most of the action takes place.
0 Replies

The1Barbie

Tue 4 May, 2021 02:14 pm
@Linkat,
Lol yeah I noticed that too. I was also considering something antithetical like "Tough Flower" or something like that. I also try to relate it to a metaphor around butterflies to symbolize her personal metamorphosis but fear this seems a little cliche, and "Tough Butterfly" sounds kinda dumb when said out loud.
Linkat

Tue 4 May, 2021 03:04 pm
@The1Barbie,
How about Feisty - used in some form. I like that word for tough girls that are still a bit feminine - Feisty to me is someone that is unexpectedly tough.
The1Barbie

Tue 4 May, 2021 03:20 pm
@Linkat,
Thank you Linkat. Yes Feisty sounds cute. I like the kittenish undertones. I'm also considering "Tough Pearl" or "All Pearls are Tough" even though I noticed there is a book titled "The Rough Pearl" although I guess this is original enough. I also like the metaphor about how pearls are formed, through irritants caused to the oyster/clam just as much as the girl has had to become pearl-like through a series of hard knocks. And yet pearls are also considered fragile if not handled or cared for properly which highlights her soft side. So unless anyone has other suggestions I guess I'll settle with this. Thanks so much for your help guys and God bless.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Tue 4 May, 2021 03:44 pm
@The1Barbie,
Tough Love.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Help with a title?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:40:39