Cultural Misappropriation

longly1

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2021 11:48 am
Well, if we are talking of cultural misappropriation, how about science. White Europeans invented for white Europeans. If a black person obtains a degree in science or gets a job that uses sciences, is he misappropriating the white man’s culture? Perhaps I am wrong about it; I am not aware of any founding black scientist. Volta was Italian which would most likely be somewhat darker than most northern Europeans, but not Negroid. I doubt there were many blacks in Italy in those days.

“Justin Bieber has been accused of cultural appropriation, and being a “dilettante … dipping his toe in the culture”, after changing his hairstyle.

The Canadian singer debuted the locs style on Sunday on Instagram, then posted a close-up on Monday. As in 2016, when he was pictured in cornrows, the images prompted outrage on social media.

Stephanie Cohen, co-founder and legal and political organiser at the Halo Collective, a natural hair organisation, told the Guardian: “When I see a white person in mainstream media sporting a black hairstyle, it makes me angry.

“I’m angry because this standard does not exist when a black person simply wears their hair in this way. You can’t just wear something so historically significant and ignore the struggles behind what the hairstyle purports.”

Cohen said Bieber had “no right” to wear the hairstyle.

“My reasoning and understanding of someone wearing something not specific to their culture or ethnicity is that if they cannot speak for black or minority rights [and] be a consistent ally – then they have no right to wear something like locs.” “
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 289 • Replies: 0
No top replies

1. Forums
  2. » Cultural Misappropriation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:08:02