Should I go to college out-of-state?

sziib

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 10:04 am
I'm finishing up my junior year of high school, but I actually should be graduating this year. My birthday's October 5th, 2003, and the state where I live has a winter cutoff, which means that I was supposed to start Kindergarten in the fall of 2008. However, because my parents thought I was immature and didn't have a lot of confidence in me, they waited until the fall of 2009 to send me. All through school, I've felt embarrassed about being a year behind, and out-of-place for being more than a year older than some of my classmates. The thing is, though, that most states have a September cutoff, which means that in most states, I wouldn't have been allowed to start Kindergarten until the fall of 2009. Thus, by the standards of most states, I'm in the right grade. If I went to college in a state with a September cutoff, I'd be exactly in the year I'm supposed to be in, and there wouldn't be anything weird about turning 19 in October of my freshman year, since that's the norm for October-born people in that state. I'd still be one of the very oldest, but I'd still fall within the normal age range for my year. I know this seems crazy, but lately, nothing has been more important to me than being normal and fitting in.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 363 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 10:21 am
@sziib,
You'll be fine no matter where you go.

It only has to be weird if you make it weird.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 03:09 pm
@sziib,
Go to the college in the state you prefer. This is not a big thing ...also some students take a gap year meaning they take a year off between high school and college for a variety of reasons...last year many students did thus because of covid....however some to work and save money , maybe they are unsure of which school

In any case you are not that different in age and others sometimes start a year later.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 05:18 pm
@sziib,
Listen, my school (57 years ago) had a Spring cut off. I was sent to kindergarten at the age of 4. I didn't turn 5 until May, just before school ended. At age 5, I was in Grade 1. After 3 weeks, and only because I could read the 1st and 2nd grade books (Dick, Sally and Spot - stupid, repetitive books), I was sent to grade 2. So I was 5 in grade 2. Really bad idea for lots of reasons (math, social development, etc).

The reason, though, why I'm telling you this is that not only was I basically 2 years younger than everyone else, but I was tiny. Kids didn't want to play with 'little kids' Smile It all turns out okay because you adjust - become the class clown, the smartest, fastest, whatever. Overall, it evens out. It's all just how you look at it. Or don't look at it.

It could be a lot worse. You could be an orphan. You could be living in Yemen. You could be living in a war zone. You could be blind.

I don't mean to make light of your feelings, because I do know, firsthand, what you're talking about. What I'm trying to help you do is to put it in perspective. It's only a big deal because you're making it a big deal. As time goes on, nobody usually asks you how old you are or why you're older than everyone else.

This is something that you've taken to heart and I'm suggesting it's not that big a deal, so maybe look at it differently.
sziib

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 05:26 pm
@Mame,
"The reason, though, why I'm telling you this is that not only was I basically 2 years younger than everyone else, but I was tiny. Kids didn't want to play with 'little kids'"

Whatever size you were when you were 5 and in 2nd grade, you would've been the same size the age in 1st grade or Kindergarten. The same kids who were bigger than you would have still been bigger than you even if you hadn't been accelerated.

"As time goes on, nobody usually asks you how old you are or why you're older than everyone else."

Whether they know it or not doesn't matter. What matters is what the facts are. If a tree falls in the forest, it makes a sound regardless of whether or not anyone's around to hear it. If I go to college in my state, I'm still a year behind regardless of whether or not anyone else knows it.
Mame

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 05:52 pm
@sziib,
Over time, a year doesn't make that much difference.

What if you didn't walk until you were 2? Does that matter, too?
Ben Makes Things

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2021 11:37 pm
@Mame,
Cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and metal retardation. These are things you should look out for in delayed child walking.
0 Replies

Texaneer

Reply Mon 3 May, 2021 01:58 pm
Concerns about that type of thing fade away as you get older, and that includes college. No one is going to care which side of the cut off you're on. You should go to college out of state if you want to go to a college that's out of state. I wouldn't let your age/grade level affect the decision. Go to the college that seems like the best fit to you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should I go to college out-of-state?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 05:53:59