Crosswords In General.

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 11:55 pm
In my dottage I've been doing crosswords with the answers in the back of the magazine. Have also tackled the competition ones but never bothered sending any in.
So, to one of my pet peeves... the clue was 'cutting-edge'. I was at my wits-end and finally took a peek at the answer in the back... and was mildly perplexed to find the answer was 'edgy'.
Would some kindly person explain that to me. To me 'cutting-edge' leans more to something regarding technology or the sharp side of a knife. But it never occurred to me that 'edgy' was also a contender. I'm positive I am the nincompoop here, so I was just kinda wondering and hoping that someone else (out there) might have thought along the same lines as moi.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 279 • Replies: 1
No top replies

hightor

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2021 02:20 am
It's a poor clue since it contains most of the answer word in the question. But your problem is unfamiliarity with the term "cutting-edge". You're thinking of the "cutting edge" of a blade but "cutting-edge" as an adjective means something else:
Quote:
"Cutting-edge": being or employing the latest concepts, styles, or techniques

"his insistent tracking shots and rapid-fire pacing earned him a reputation as a cutting-edge filmmaker"

Synonyms for cutting-edge

- advanced, avant, avant-garde, progressive, state-of-the-art

Words Related to cutting-edge

- pioneering, revolutionary, trailblazing

- alternative, antiestablishment, nontraditional, unconventional, underground

- bizarre, far-out, outré, way-out

- fresh, new, novel, original

- strange, unaccustomed, unfamiliar, unheard-of, unknown, unprecedented

- contemporary, current, hot, mod, modern, modernistic, newfangled, new-fashioned, present-day, red-hot, space-age, ultramodern, up-to-date
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Crosswords In General.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 04:46:12