Joe Biden, dementia, and the 25th amendment

longjon

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 02:28 am
Please keep in mind that this is the most popular presidential nominee in the history of the United States according to the media and state. This is the person who got more votes in a NON-rigged election than any other candidate in history. Anyone who doesn't believe this is true is an "insurrectionist". Rolling Eyes

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FemaleScornfulJay-max-1mb.gif
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 04:02 am
longjon wrote:
Anyone who doesn't believe this is true is an "insurrectionist".

That's patently false. "Insurrection" refers to an act or instance of rebellion, not beliefs. I don't think this guy's a real American.

I wonder when we'll see pics of the insurrection that he attended?
longjon wrote:
Today was wild. I experienced tear gas for the first time, I saw people shot, and I can definitely confirm that Antifa was in DC causing violence for news cameras.
Those pics would be much more interesting than a loop of an old man tripping as he walks up a steep ramp. Or maybe u/longjon was lying, never left his basement, and watched it on TV?
oralloy

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 11:18 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
That's patently false. "Insurrection" refers to an act or instance of rebellion, not beliefs. I don't think this guy's a real American.

Except, he was not misusing the word himself. He was criticizing progressives for their misuse of the word. Note the quotes and the eyeroll.

But I do think it is reasonable to say that progressives are not real Americans. So maybe misuse of the term can be used as a way to identify progressives as traitors or something.
maxdancona

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 12:06 pm
@oralloy,
I think that hitting cops with an American flag pole is cool!

Does that make me an insurrectionist?
oralloy

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 12:07 pm
@maxdancona,
No. Just a common criminal.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 12:19 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
He was criticizing progressives for their misuse of the word.

But where have they done this? I've never heard any liberal refer to someone as an "insurrectionist" merely for simply having been mislead, or attempting to mislead others, about the fairness, honesty, or results of the '20 election. I've heard them described as dupes, MAGAtards, and dead-enders but not "insurrectionists" — that term has been rightly applied to the domestic terrorists who crossed police lines and stormed the Capitol. The OP himself may have been one but after telling us he was there he's grown strangely silent about his activities that day.

Since liberals haven't habitually misused the term, simply declaring that they do in order to insult people who don't agree with you doesn't establish it as factual. Irony and satire need to be based on actual statements and events. u/longjon is just inventing stuff to illustrate a non-existent point.
oralloy

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 12:53 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
that term has been rightly applied to the domestic terrorists who crossed police lines and stormed the Capitol.

Peaceful protesters are neither terrorists nor insurrectionists.

hightor wrote:
Since liberals haven't habitually misused the term,

Progressives have habitually misused the term.

Progressives also misuse the language when they pretend that they are liberals.

hightor wrote:
simply declaring that they do in order to insult people who don't agree with you doesn't establish it as factual.

Pointing out facts is not meant as an insult.

If you want evidence of progressive misuse of the language, note your own misuse of these terms in the very post that I am responding to.

hightor wrote:
Irony and satire need to be based on actual statements and events. u/longjon is just inventing stuff to illustrate a non-existent point.

He's not inventing anything. Progressives really do refer to peaceful protesters as insurrectionists and terrorists, and really do refer to themselves as liberals.

Note your own post for examples of this.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 12:56 pm
It is funny to see Hightor and Oralloy arguing. They are basically the same person (one on the left, one on the right) just throwing partisan jabs at each other from opposite extreme ends of the political spectrum.

I am enjoying this.
oralloy

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 12:59 pm
@maxdancona,
It's telling that you consider my truthfulness to be a trait of the partisan right.

Deep down you know that your progressivism is evil.
maxdancona

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 01:31 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

It's telling that you consider my truthfulness to be a trait of the partisan right.

Deep down you know that your progressivism is evil.

For the record I also consider Hightor's truthfulness to be a trait of the partisan left. And Hightor knows that my conservativism is evil. There is really nothing that you say that Hightor wouldn't also say (with just a few changed adjectives).

Hightor thinks he is much more intelligent than you are.

0 Replies

hightor

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 02:36 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
They are basically the same person (one on the left, one on the right) just throwing partisan jabs at each other from opposite extreme ends of the political spectrum.

You always want to paint me as an extreme doctrinaire leftist, but I don't even really consider myself a "progressive", being much more of an incrementalist. I'm as critical of some left-wing beliefs as you are. That's why I prefer to use the term "liberal". I do dislike the right-wing political culture that has developed over the past thirty years and most of my online political speech reflects this. One needn't be a radical leftist to criticize Trumpism and those who peddle it online.

The fact that you consider a moderate such as myself to be a far left radical for opposing viewpoints like those of oralloy and longjon only shows how reactionary the right has become! Hell, there are Republicans who attack the far right. I believe you'll find that my "arguments" with rightists are usually critiques of their use of deceptive language, false claims, and logical inconsistencies, not attempts to push a particular political philosophy.
Quote:
Hightor thinks he is much more intelligent than you are.

I know you're just trying to stir things up but there's no way my intelligence can match oralloy's — or yours, for that matter.
maxdancona

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 03:10 pm
@hightor,
I am curious.

Which "left wing beliefs" are you critical of? I haven't seen you criticize anything on the left, maybe I wasn't paying attention.

maxdancona

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 03:33 pm
@hightor,
Your last snarky comment made me chuckle... well played!
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 03:44 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
... maybe I wasn't paying attention.

No, you weren't.

Open borders, aspects of feminism, reparations, hypocritical emphases on "human rights" might be a few of them. The only causes where I'm truly radical are issues related to the biosphere.
oralloy

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 03:54 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
The fact that you consider a moderate such as myself to be a far left radical for opposing viewpoints like those of oralloy and longjon only shows how reactionary the right has become!

To be fair, I'm a bit of a moderate too. So we can still be opposites.

You'd get a chuckle from some of the posts out there on the internet denouncing me for my opposition to the Second Amendment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 03:56 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Open borders, aspects of feminism, reparations, hypocritical emphases on "human rights" might be a few of them.

I might be to the left of you on open borders and hypocritical emphases on "human rights".

But it would depend on what you mean by those terms I guess.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 04:01 pm
@hightor,
What "aspects of feminism" do you have a problem with? I have never seen you disagree with Bernie Sanders or Alexandra Occasio Cortez on immigration.

I don't buy your denials. Can you give specific example? An example would be "I disagree with AOC when she says no child should be separated from their family".

I don't know any progressive who says "I am in favor of open borders". AOC doesn't say this. Bernie doesn't say this. If you can give me an example, it would help.
oralloy

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 04:18 pm
@maxdancona,
Define open borders.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 06:55 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I have never seen you disagree with Bernie Sanders or Alexandra Occasio Cortez on immigration.

Because I'm not interested.

I wouldn't touch the subject with a ten foot pole.
Quote:
I don't buy your denials.

I've never made any affirmations to deny.
Quote:
Can you give specific example? An example would be "I disagree with AOC when she says no child should be separated from their family".

First, why cherry-pick that statement out of everything AOC has said to offer as an "example" and potential subject for disagreement? Second, as I mentioned above, I'm not invested in this issue. I don't follow any progressive politicians' comments on the topic and don't even know the context of the alleged AOC statement. No political figure really represents my political views on the subject.

Quote:
If you can give me an example, it would help.

Of course they're not going to say, "I am in favor of open borders." They make the effort to go on the record as being opposed to open borders. No, I can't give you an "example" of what AOC doesn't say or Bernie doesn't say!

maxdancona

Sat 27 Mar, 2021 07:13 pm
@hightor,
Hightor,

Everything you are saying is in lock-step agreement with someone solidly on the political left. It would be interesting if you would take a position out of your ideological bubble. I haven't seen you ever do this.

If your opinions are a near carbon copy of every other "progressive", and every conservative has the same thoughts as every other conservative, it makes the world boring. It is like only two people exist in America, and everyone else is just an intellectual clone of one of them or the other.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:12:20