Chinese Goddess of Mercy, Quan Yin, Statue

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 07:51 pm
Greetings.

My aunt passed away about a year ago and she had quite an art collection. She was wealthy and she traveled around the world with her husband collecting art. My family is struggling to determine values.

The statue in question is a 32" tall ivory tusk of the Chinese Goddess of Mercy, Quan Yin, I believe. It has what I believe to be a naturally occurring vertical crack on the front but not easy to see. This is the most intricate carving I have ever witnessed firsthand. My family and I wish to know what value it holds. We believe it was purchased directly from China in the late sixties.

Photos can be viewed here:https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1553278724&posted=true&adActivated=true&edited=true

It is not necessary to read the ad as any relevant information is already in this write-up.

I appreciate your time and knowledge. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 362 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 10:08 pm
@Popyacap,
there are federal and state rules for "ethical ivory". You should have data on when it was made or bought. Otherwise it can be confiscated.

Are you sure its ivory?? I vory has laminar structure and color differences along the laminae. It also has a smell of burning hair if you scratch and touch a burning match to a very small piece or a scratch
Popyacap

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2021 07:47 pm
@farmerman,
This property belongs to my family. Anyone trying to confiscate it has another thing coming, like a lawsuit. This ivory carving dates back to the 1960's. So, because it comes from before some man-made law came into effect, it makes it OK to own? Just more hypocrisy.

There is no such thing as "ethical" of any trophy taken from any animal. Anyone hunting animals for trophies should be hunted themselves. You hunt animals for meat only!

To destroy this carving is another slap in the face to the animal that allegedly died to obtain this tusk. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge that the animal in question did not die of natural causes and then the tusk was harvested? I believe the animal was hunted but how could I ever know.

People like controlling other people. Yet none of these so-called cowards will go to these countries and put any effort into stopping this murder of these animals, and if they did, they would only be hypocrites. They will only speak out against people in their own countries for owning these items but the mass slaughter of livestock animals continues.

Thank you for your response but I did not ask you for any of the information you supplied. Do you honestly think I will place a heat source near this carving just to prove what I already know?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Chinese Goddess of Mercy, Quan Yin, Statue
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:39:29