Do even good employees get corrected by their bosses often?

Dsg1116

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 07:55 am
I’m at the point where I really cannot take it at my current job any longer. Idk what it is but I just feel the urge to quit so badly, more than usual. I’ve been there 2 years and have had 2 bosses. We have had our current one for about a year, they’re both similar but the previous one was a bit nicer. I go through these periods where I don’t hear anything negative (any form of correction) for maybe a month. And bam, it feels like a new mistake is brought up from my end every other week or every week for a month or so. I have had 2 verbal warnings, I do like what I do but this is my first job in this field and it can be a lot to take in. I work in higher education and I feel my boss is quick to say what can be done differently. For example, you get a compliment but he advises what could have been done better or different alongside. My review was okay, there was positives and things that need improvement. Am I just really that terrible at what I do? Or is this common? Yes, people make errors but I don’t like my boss relaying the bad news, that’s their job but at the same time it’s embarrassing. I was livid yesterday, we have call monitoring and he listened on a call, forwarded the audio and asked what I could have done differently. Mind you, I spoke with her the day before and the conversation was longer and more in depth. The day after (the call he forwarded) was a follow up but he chose to want to review that call and say what could have been done differently,even though I clearly told him to listen to the previous one. How can you expect someone to want to thrive in an environment where it’s corrective action after another? Either I’m very terrible or this happens to all of them. Which I HIGHLY doubt, I feel singled out. I’ve been trying to look for work but it’s been very hard.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 436 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 09:25 am
@Dsg1116,
Yes, we correct all employees (at least I sure as hell do).

Why?

Because the better you are at your job, the better management looks, the more $ management has, and the better the company as a whole does. Education is different in that you're not a for-profit company, but no one wants to send their kids to a lousy school. No students = no school = no jobs.

So it's better if you do better.

I am not saying it's fun to always hear criticism. But don't let it embarrass you. Everyone gets criticism at some point in time. A big part of growing in your profession and in life consists of being able to take critiques well.

It's unfortunate your boss listened in on the 'wrong' call. That's also their job - to figure out where things have the potential to go amiss and getting you back on track. It doesn't do your boss a lot of good if the calls are cherrypicked and everything sounds wonderful.

Now here's something on you - what are you doing to improve things? Employees who see issues and work to correct them are valuable. Employees who don't are replaceable.

I know it's hard to find work. And I have been in your position of hating a boss/office/etc. Then take advantage of this time, where you're earning a paycheck but it's hard to get something else - and find out what sort of training you can get. And then get that training, whatever it is. Training is expensive so it's much better to get it done on the company dime.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 10:01 am
@Dsg1116,
It sounds like a crappy place to work.

Can you talk to the other employees (your peers)? It would be interesting to know if they are experiencing the same thing. It is possible that you just have a bad bosses.

In my (now long) career, my success has largely depended on the quality of boss I had.

When I was a young engineer, I had a boss who was very critical... I received a bad review and was put on a humiliating "performance plan" (when you get one of those, you are generally on your way out. I was cowed. The boss transferred out and I got a new boss. Within months I was being praised, I had an achievement that was highlighted company wide, and I got a raise and was happy to work incredibly hard for that man.

A good boss will give constructive criticism with a clear way for you do better. When you make the effort to change, a good boss will reward you. You should generally feel good about your work.

Now, when I get into a situation where I am not thriving (when I know I am doing my best work), I get ready to leave. In this economy, changing jobs is fairly common and it isn't worth staying in a situation where you aren't happy. I realize that moving isn't always possible, but make the best and get out as soon as you can.

My advice is to keep your head down and say what this boss wants to hear... it is better to walk out on your own two feet. But do be spending weekends sending out resumes, and make sure your are talking to other people in the company to get good references about your work.
roger

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 11:54 am
@maxdancona,

maxdancona wrote:

In my (now long) career, my success has largely depended on the quality of boss I had.

Did I mention I was glad to see you back from your break?
0 Replies

Dsg1116

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 03:20 pm
@maxdancona,
What makes you think it’s shitty? My boss?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 03:33 pm
@Dsg1116,
Dsg1116 wrote:

What makes you think it’s shitty? My boss?

1. You are at a job that you "cannot take any longer" and that you feel the urge to quit.

2. You feel like you are making mistakes all of the time.

3. Your boss is making you feel embarrassed.

4. Your boss is listening in on your calls to criticize you. This would piss me off even if it were part of my job... no one wants their boss looking over their shoulder all of the time.

5. You feel singled out and angry at work.

Any one of these things would make a job shitty in my opinion.
0 Replies

Dsg1116

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 05:18 pm
@jespah,
Lol I have two opposing comments. Look at yours and then the other person. This differing feedback always has me stumped. But I’m trying to leave regardless
maxdancona

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 06:47 pm
@Dsg1116,
I consider getting two different perspectives on an issue to be a good thing. I don't know why it would stump you, it is simply two views from differing viewpoints. I don't think I disagree with anything that Jespah said in her post.

She is making the point that you should take criticism in stride and learn from it, and she is saying that you should understand where your boss is coming from.

I think she is right. I think I am right. I don't I have problem with us both being right.

jespah

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 08:06 pm
@maxdancona,
100%.

I don't think we're in disagreement at all.
Dsg1116

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 08:10 pm
@jespah,
Is what I said indicate I’m a bad worker or have a bad boss
jespah

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 08:14 pm
@Dsg1116,
I have no real idea how you are as a worker.

Your boss probably could communicate better.

I've had lousy bosses and I've had excellent ones. I am a boss now. I do try to channel my better bosses. I do my best to communicate well with people and play to their strengths. If they succeed, we all do.

But I still have to tell job candidates they aren't being hired, conduct performance reviews, and fire people.

As I said before, see what you can get out of this position as you look for something else.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2021 08:00 am
You probably have some different viewpoints because each individual is pulling their own personal experience combining with what they are reading between the lines. We are only reading your point of view and add to that a summary of your vision. There is no way to determine what is really going on.

My take it could be a few things...you may be taking this as criticism rather than your boss trying to help you be a better employee. Do these correct make sense? Are you able to invite them in your work?

It could be your boss is not good on delivering or communicating so it is coming out more negative than it should. Currently I am a boss and I also have a boss. My current boss for lack of a better term can be a b*tch. It is the point that people are afraid of making even the tiniest mistake so I feel I do much damage control to those reporting to me. She has her goid points but she sucks on inspiring people...she does the opposite. I have thick skin but there was a time recently that thank goodness we are remote I put my phone on mute and just ignored the rest of the team meeting. So yes UT could be your boss.

I have also had to put people on warnings so yes it could be you. What does your verbal warning say? It should be clear on how you need to improve? It doesn't mean you are not capable but be realistic if you have the skills to do this job. If not, do you like this work and want to stay? If so, see how you can get the training to get better...instead if taking these corrections negatively use them to improve your work.

Hard for us just reading through this where the problem lies...you probably have a better gage if you are honest with yourself.
Dsg1116

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2021 08:26 am
@Linkat,
I think he has unrealistic expectations. He says things to sound empathetic but idk if he really means what he’s says, considering he is critical. So if I were a solid employee, I would not be getting warnings? They’re verbal, I had 2 within 2 years. I’m looking for a new job regardless, one was about a time I did not reply to an important message from an employee. The other was oversight on my part, not relaying info about a student. I think if I were good, I would not be corrected ever so often
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do even good employees get corrected by their bosses often?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 03:13:19