Chechens approve new constitution; vote to stay Russian

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 04:51 pm
March 24, 2003 - London Times
Chechens vote to stay Russian
From Clem Cecil in Grozny

CHECHENS voted overwhelmingly yesterday for a new constitution that aims to end the 3½-year war by giving the republic some autonomy within Russia, according to early results.

The constitution was supported by 95.5 per cent of voters, while 4.1 per cent voted to reject it, a Chechen election commission official told the Interfax news agency. The figures were based on results from four districts.

Two other laws, on electing a president and a parliament for the republic, were approved by 96 per cent of voters.

Russian special forces stood on the roofs of many polling stations, where war-weary Chechens, drawn by promises from President Putin of compensation for lost homes and handouts to young mothers, gathered to vote.

"Choose peace not war," posters around the buildings urged, appealing to a nation too befuddled by conflict to question the possible consequences of the referendum.

Mr Putin gave a television address to the Chechen people a week ago in which he promised them wide autonomy in Russia. Although a decade of war has reinforced suspicion of Russia within Chechnya, Mr Putin's emotive address worked magic. "We did not expect it from him," Zohara Soduev, who was selling champagne and plastic flowers outside one polling station, said.

"After I heard his sympathy for us, I decided to vote."

It is a desperate measure by Russia to consolidate its power in Chechnya. It has been humiliated in recent months by two terrorist attacks: the seizure of a Moscow theatre and the destruction of a government building in Grozny. Journalists were taken on a tour of Chechnya, designed to show a country on the mend. Federal forces have gained the north of the country, but rebel activity remains in the mountainous region and Grozny is still a war zone.

The city is in ruins: bullet holes pepper walls and not one building stands entire. In his address, Mr Putin promised compensation for the 280,000 homes destroyed by the war, an appealing prospect for a displaced people.

Displaced Chechens were also pushed to take part in the referendum. Polling booths were set up in refugee camps in neighbouring Ingushetia, where food rations were handed out with registration forms. The 5,000 Chechens living in one camp were told that it would close if they did not sign the forms. At the end of last year, refugees were given financial enticement to return to Chechnya in another attempt by Russia to create a semblance of normality.

The Russian authorities have refused to have any negotiations with rebels since the theatre siege in October. Officially ignored, they may be driven into yet more desperate acts to attract attention to their cause.

Chechen groups and human rights activists say that the referendum was an attempt to legitimise a brutal campaign and they fear a civil war. Many doubt that Moscow has the moral authority to administer justice in Chechnya, where there have been tens of thousands of civilian casualties in the past decade.

Two polling stations were burnt out last weekend and six federal soldiers killed. Security in Moscow was tightened over the weekend and 18,000 police were flown into Chechyna to guard the polling booths.

Yesterday, the local election committee said that more than 350,000 Chechens had voted, meaning that the referendum legally had taken place.

Russia has many promises to keep after the referendum if it is to maintain the trust of the Chechens who voted: not merely to pay compensation but also to show them continuing support as citizens of the Russian Federation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,034 • Replies: 13
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 04:59 pm
So, what's your take on this? Does it look like an end to the hostilities?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 05:10 pm
Will peace be achieved?
Roger, One can always hope that this is a first small step towards peace. However, the realist in me predicts that religious nationalism will trump pragmatic logic once again.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 05:35 pm
My hope is that is was a fair and honest election. If so, there is hope.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:05 pm
95,5%, eh? Sounds like Putin is almost parallelling the results his former bosses at the KGB were able to achieve back in the days ...

"Russian special forces stood on the roofs of many polling stations [..] "Choose peace not war," posters around the buildings urged, [..] Polling booths were set up in refugee camps in neighbouring Ingushetia, where food rations were handed out with registration forms. The 5,000 Chechens living in one camp were told that it would close if they did not sign the forms. [..] Chechen groups and human rights activists say that the referendum was an attempt to legitimise a brutal campaign"

Sounds like a fair and honest enough election campaign, in which the Chechens felt unencumbered to enjoy a variety of views presented on the topic and express their own without any sense of intimidation. (Not).

"the local election committee said that more than 350,000 Chechens had voted, meaning that the referendum legally had taken place."

As of 30.12.2001, the Chechnya population constituted 790,226 persons.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 08:26 pm
I was afraid someone would flesh out the details.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 10:00 pm
Re: Chechens approve new constitution; vote to stay Russian
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
March 24, 2003 - London Times
Chechens vote to stay Russian
From Clem Cecil in Grozny

Displaced Chechens were also pushed to take part in the referendum. Polling booths were set up in refugee camps in neighbouring Ingushetia, where food rations were handed out with registration forms. The 5,000 Chechens living in one camp were told that it would close if they did not sign the forms. At the end of last year, refugees were given financial enticement to return to Chechnya in another attempt by Russia to create a semblance of normality.

sounds a little like extortion
0 Replies

Docent P

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 03:59 am
I can put on some details.

1 At first about 6 months ago Putin conducted a census in all Russia including Chechnya where dear liberators counted about 1,100,000 people (really according to different sources there are hardly 400,000-500,000 population). So Putin called the number of people as big as the double real number. In other words now every voting would collect at least 50% of voices. Laughing But as I see it wasn't necessary last time.

2 Another resource of getting right results is Federal soldiers in Chechnya - about 120,000 now. According to officials there were 400,000 participants of the referendum. So every soldier should have visited 3-4 polling places to make the necessary number of voters. If only Putin didn't have a simplier way to falsify the voting.

http://www.chechenpress.com/news/foto/b00082.jpg

3 The results are 95-96% (why not 99.98% as during the Soviet era? - oh, I forgot Putin is a democrat Laughing ). It's interesting that the highest percentage of participation (about 90% of registered voters) has been achieved in the mountain Sharoy and Vedeno districts. Both districts are famous by the facts that local inhabitants almost totally left them due to brutal repressions from the Federals (now the most villages of the districts are waste) and there are the most active Resistance units (controlled by Doku Umarov and Shamil Basaev) dislocated (continuing regular attacks of course) - that's why reporters avoid visiting them. In the nothern Chechnya the percentage of voters is the smallest (about 50%) except some polling place in Ingushetia where the Federals have counted 190% (well done, comrades Very Happy ).

4 According to witnesses the real number of voters among citizens is very small. For example in Achkhoy-Martan nobody (including local officials and militia) took part in the referendum, in Grozny one polling place was visited by seven people, in Ingushetia - by several dozens. All of them had been forced under threats of being left without product cards (a fresh joke: Why is Putin so brutal, leaving the refuges without bread? - At first he was going to be humanist - just to cut off electricity and water - but, after he discovered that the refuges had had already no water and electricity, he was to do nothing else but to deprive them of food).

5 The Kremlin has declared that the observers from the UN and OSCE have confirmed the legacy of the referendum. This is a BS - neither the UN nor OSCE sent their representatives. The only foreign organisation that took part in it was the Organisation of Islamic Conference - not a good example of democratic society IMHO.

Now some humor: one Russian TV reporter saw a big crowd of people waiting a bus at a bus-stop in Grozny, in the News program he called this crowd "a demonstration against the war in Iraq". Laughing
0 Replies

Docent P

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 01:20 am
Recently I've read about the Zavgaev's (pro-Russian Chechen leader during the 1994-1996 war, nominally elected President of Chechnya, now an ambassador in Tanzania) election. Yeltsin, seeing that all his previous Chechen allies had no authority even among their supportes, decided to return to Chechnya an old "tested" official - personally Doku Zavgaev - First Chairman of the Party Republican Committee of Chechnya until 1991. Zavgaev organised his own "election" exactly how he had used to do it in sweet old times and eventually he was elected by 99,98% of votes! 99,98% was a very strong restricted figure of the Soviet period - in the Party's logic 99,99% would mean that the voting was dishonest and 99,97% would mean that the population hadn't been propaganded well. The both kinds of deviations could cause some problems for local Party authorities so the results were always the same everywhere. But when Yeltsin saw 99,98% in Zavgaev's reports he became really angry - such idiocy would damage the image of "Russian democracy" abroad. After short discussions Zavgaev agreed to decrease the number down to 80% - that became the offically declared result.

Now I see that Putin is less "democratic" than Yeltsin: he has decreased the number down only to 96%. Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 08:57 pm
hey docent p, i wondered, what do you think of the council of europe proposal to install a chechnya war crimes court, in which both chechen rebels and russian military would have to be judged? i mean, i know it's not going to happen (the russian government called the proposal "senseless" and "damaging", I believe), but do you think it would have been a good idea, and what do you think of the CoE proposing such a thing?
0 Replies

Docent P

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 04:39 am
>hey docent p, i wondered, what do you think of the council of europe proposal to install a chechnya war crimes court,...

Yes, I agree it's an excellent idea from all points of view. Although it has been brought up by the PACE that is a very different thing from the Council of Europe. The PACE is known as absolutely marginal and powerless organisation. It's ridiculous that after they recommended (they can't impose smth more than recomendation) the Council of Europe to exclude Russia from it's members the Council not only declined this offer but even didn't mention this problem in it's summit. What was the PACE's reaction? They immediately "forgot" all their proposals and restored Russia back in the PACE. Of course todays their initiative won't have any practical result (just a detail - the next day after the resolution several envoys of the Council of Europe visited Moscow and one of them told Putin: "our approach to the Chechen problem is completely the same as your one", it's sad this guy has no chances to taste this approach on his skin Mad ).

But generally IMHO there are big morale consequences. The PACE show that they are not going to believe to the comedy of "referendum" - so some time Maskhadov's government can be admitted as legal. But they have to defeat the Federals before.

>the russian government called the proposal "senseless" and "damaging",

another sign that it's a good idea.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 05:38 am
Regardless of the humanitarian aspect of the problem, Chechens cannot be permitted to win the war. If they do, this may cause intensifying of separatist movement throughout the world, especially, the Islamic one. By suppressing the Chechen insurgence Russia does a good job in favor of all the First World.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 06:53 am
I know that Russia supported the enemies of the Allied Forces during the Iraqi campaign. But I do not think that symmetrical response of the USA (I mean, supporting the enemies of Russia in Chechnya) will be a wise thing. It will be not in favor of either of the countries, and it will serve only interests of the global Islamic terrorism that has learnt to exploit contradictions in approaches of different countries of the Judo-Christian civilization long ago, during the Cold War. I am sure that the administration of the USA should by all means support Mr. Putin's effort to put end to the Chechen rebellion. This will not serve, maybe, immideate political interests of the USA, but from the standpoint of the long-term geopolitical prospect this would be a very wise step.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 09:39 am
[del'd] see http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=179484#179484

Hope I didnt overwhelm you with my all too lengthy personal responses in the What is the role of Russia [..]? thread, Docent P ...
0 Replies