11th Hour Thanksgiving Turkey help

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 08:48 pm
I have a 12 pound Turkey I plan to roast 'low and slow' for dinner. But I can't narrow down the appropriate time or temperature. I remember my mother would put the turkey in the oven late at night so the entire meal could be served around 13:00 or 14:00.........................but her turkey were huge to serve extended family.............Mine is only 12 pounds and we don't like eating that early (crack of noon). Anyone have a suggestion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 428 • Replies: 15
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 01:47 am
@glitterbag,
sorry GB. I always do the turkeys. I use the 500 degree oven at 10 min/pound and wrap the breasts in tinfoil and the legs.
I remov all the foil about 30 min before removing from the oven.

Its the most tender moist and flavorful bird ver. I used to cook em for a community turkey feed and everyone came back for more.

In our way (A KAfka trick), the breast never gets paper dry,(My mom, bless her, sould never get it right and everyon either slobbered the breastmeat with gallons a gravy, or like me and dad, we went for legs and wings and thighs.

I heard of the 250 degree for 20 min per pound. I ont know, Ive never done it.

glitterbag

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 06:20 am
@farmerman,
Thank you, FM............Be safe and happy this holiday.
Do you put he turkey on a rack in the pam to roast? I usually poor chicken broth
on the bottom of the pan in hopes of more gravy. Also some sliced onion to flavor the broth......................................Thanks for the suggestions FM...Thats helpfull......you and Mrs. FM enjoy the day, Happy Turkey Day...Again, thanks so much for the help!☘️🧸🥳
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 06:30 am
@glitterbag,
Rack and place it in upside down an in the center of oven. Yes, GRAVY IS VERY IMPORTANT (I herd from Trevor Noah that Rudy Giuliani makes his own gravy).

Ya gotta be ferless to try the 500 K bird . It sounds so irrational.

Im in charge of biscuits n turkey. Mrs F does ll sides, pies, stuffing (Shes doing cornbread with oysters this year)

I think I mentioned esewehere, I bought two turkeys (live) to live with the chickens and act as fox/coyote deterrents. So weve got 2 donkeys and now two turkeys, 150 sheep, 8 cattle, 15 chickens and a buncha cats in the barn. Oh yeh, and a komondoor herd dog .

I think were set for Armegeddon, Seriously, my wife is worried what we will feed these animals if theres a civil war over Pres Fagin and his toadies.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 08:01 am
@glitterbag,
FWIW, I read that a smaller bird ( 9-12 as opposed 13-18 lb) doesn’t benefit from high hear 475-500deg for 30 minutes.

What I’ve done in the past and will be doing today is spatchcocking (cutting out the backbone and flattening the bird). Our 10lb-bird theoretically will take 45 min. Moist turkey eat every time.

When I did this last year my hands really had a workout. It is a method NOT recommended for anyone with hand issues like arthritis or repetitive use injuries.

In fact, I made sure that my knives were quite sharp and strong. However,the effort was worth it in time saved and heating up the kitchen, Typically here in so FL it’s over 80 deg here.

I highly recommend this method to those that are willing. Save the spine for soup.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 10:44 am
@glitterbag,
I don’t know if I can be of much help. I’ve not had turkey for years, we normally have goose or duck for Christmas and don’t celebrate Thanksgiving.

What I do with most joints is stick them in a big roasting bag with the herbs and spices and whatever. Then I stick them in the oven at 100 centigrade, (we don’t have Fahrenheit ovens) for a very long time, much longer than necessary, when it’s falling off the bones it’s done. Depending on the joint I might heat it up a bit towards the end if it needs a bit of crisping.

The roasting bag stops it drying out too much.

That’s what I’d do, but I’ve not cooked a turkey for over ten years, so what do I know?
Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 11:19 am
@Ragman,
I meant to write that I use. a 400 deg F oven. If I was at Izzy’s I’d put his oven at 205 deg C..Though, I might have to bring my own turkey.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 11:37 am
@Ragman,
I’ve got a table I use when using American recipes, actually quite a few tables.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 12:23 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you Ragman, I still haven't found the kind of knife I want, and the ones I use have to sharpened constantly.....Maybe next year I can try the spatchcocking method, or better yet get Rodney to cut the cut.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 12:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks Izzie...........I've never tried roasting a goose!!!!!!! Maybe one of these days.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 12:44 pm
@glitterbag,
It’s like a big fat duck.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 01:50 pm
@izzythepush,
hahahahahahahahaha
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2020 08:12 am
@glitterbag,
I recently found a great chefs knife...actually there are quite a few. The one we bought was a Wusthof Classic Ikon. It sharpens well and cuts like butter. Though it’s not cheap, it’s worth every penny. The other brand I bought in the past is at Zwilling JA Henkel. You can’t go wrong with either.

BTW, marvelous Maxine found me a amazing “poultry”scissors that cut through the bone and didn’t cause my hands grief. I’d highly recommended these to anyone who makes chicken or turkey. Lifesaver except to the turkey, though they already were rather predisposed.

Incidentally, the turkey after spatchcocking, went into a baking bag and took 1:15 minutes, not 45 minutes like I had thought. Still was quite tasty! 🤤
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2020 11:52 am
@izzythepush,
How much do typical geese and ducks weigh?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2020 12:08 pm
@InfraBlue,
They vary, but a goose can be quite big, enough for a big family. They don’t get as big as turkeys though. Any answer I’d have to google, I’ve comfortably served six and had plenty left over.

You do get a huge amount of fat. Some people swear by it, and around this time of year you frozen roast potatoes basted with goose fat on sale, and you can use it making savoury pastry. It’s a bit too heavy for my tastes though.
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2020 12:24 pm
@izzythepush,
when weve done goose we always split it up so it isnt roasted as one mass. We like the breast to be slighty underdone (like duck)

And the fat, OYYYY vas Iz der Goldina schmear.OYOYOYOY
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 11th Hour Thanksgiving Turkey help
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 04:00:03