Should I work with a family member or not ?

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 06:02 pm
Thank you so much for visiting this topic that concerns a life making decision. Please read this little story till the end and I would really appreciate your help.

So here is the situation, I’m a software engineer student in a third world country and I will be graduating next year to start my professional career. I’m currently working as a remote part time web developer.

My uncle is the CEO of a big technology consulting company having offices in Tokyo and my big brother is working there. My brother has been working there for about 4 years and I remember how happy he was with living in such a great city and working in Japan and joining him there was one of the motivations I had while studying but something happened last summer that is driving me crazy on what I should do in the future …

My brother had an argument with one of his managers and it grew up later to become a cold dispute between him and my uncle and he almost got himself fired if it was not for one of the managers insisting how important he was with work and for my dad talking to my uncle about it.

Since that problem, my brother keeps calling me every now and then to warn me not to come to this company and decline all future offers from my uncle, even if it is just short period internships because the way things work out there are not professional enough and managers in the company are the worst and he really started putting pressure on me.

I know that this is my decision to make and the maximum he should do is give me advice, but what he does is warning and yelling that it will be the greatest mistake of my life if I join that company.
My brother is a good man, but he is very rough and short-tempered and I don’t believe all of what he is saying because those problems were not due to work quality, but about bad attitude and that is what keeps causing him problems.

Okay, now I'm going to tell you more about myself and my family. Thank you so much for reading all of this so far.

My uncle and my dad are great brothers and friends and they have been supportive towards each other since they were children. My brother too had a great relationship with him since he was a kid and my uncle did not hesitate to hire him when he graduated. My parents owe him that much for making things easy for their son.

My father obviously wants what is best for us and wants my brother to keep working there because finding a better job is next to impossible. That is why he was really mad at him because at some point he wanted to resign and that will make the relationship with my uncle become tense because of some childish and spoiled attitude from his son … that is something my father will never allow.

Now, my father keeps bringing in the possibility of me joining the same company, though he is not willing to put any pressure on me because he believes that this is my decision to make and he will respect whatever I choose.

One one side : I would prefer not to involve family with work. I want to grow up independently from these family matters and I want to stop my family’s reliance on my uncle.

On the other side : I find it too hard to turn down an offer to work in Japan. Like I mentioned earlier, that was one of my dreams and motivations but I'm not sure if I can sacrifice it or not. I really want to work in Tokyo, from the bottom of my heart. I want to start a new life there, in one of the greatest cities ever and in a big company too. What if I am overthinking this ?

It's like a heart vs brain battle for me. I'm afraid of family problems ( especially with my brother there ) and the reliance on my uncle growing up. You can imagine how conflicted I am and I really need some advice on this one. What do you guys think ?

Finally thank you so much for reading this story. Waiting for your replies.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 322 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 06:43 pm
There are other big, exciting companies in Tokyo.

Apply to the ones that interest you.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 09:19 pm
@rabbit2019,
You could opt for a 6 months internship with your uncle's company and
decide afterwards if it would be a good fit or not. You always can apply for
another company in Tokyo after the internship.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should I work with a family member or not ?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:08:19