I'm really pi**ed off

Don1

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:35 am
I served a five year apprenticeship to be a heating engineer, most people in my job get their "City and Guilds" certificate and their education stops there, I went on to get my "full technological certificate" (FTC) and today I earn £30,000 per annum which includes teaching one day a week in the local polytechnic.

My cousin left school at 14 barely able to read and write and bought a horse and cart which he used for what we call in Britain "tatting" this is riding around all day collecting scrap metal that people throw out, old fridges, freezers, worn out cars etc. He made enough doing this to open his own scrap yard.

I've just learned that at 38 years old he has just officially become a millionaire. ****. Pass me the scotch.

Drunk
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 939 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Seed

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:37 am
holy cow man... thats not cool at all..sorry man...

dont you just hate that kind of crap
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:38 am
<passing the scotch>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:43 am
Would you have had a happier life tatting?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:47 am
ooo good point chai tea... though i dont think that is the point of the post... its the whole " bust your ass trying to make a living and then someone who does nothing gets its" or maybe im not hitting the nail on the head
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:48 am
Take a drink and then have a good look. What he did was right for him, what you did was right for you. If you make enough money to be happy, don't begrudge him his. The money you make is not a measure of your worth. What you do for a living is very important, especially the teaching part.

But I'll drink with you anyway because I have an inkling of the envy you are feeling, and it doesn't feel good. Buck up, man.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:55 am
I don't see it. Why not commend him for this success.
With the lack of education and little offerings he's had,
he made it anyways. I say: more power to him!!

Where is it written that only the educated are allowed
to be successful?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:59 am
Seed wrote:
ooo good point chai tea... though i dont think that is the point of the post... its the whole " bust your ass trying to make a living and then someone who does nothing gets its" or maybe im not hitting the nail on the head

Yeah - but that kind of thing will just eat you up inside.

Let it go Don1 - you never know what's going on in that "millionaire's" home. Each moment you fret over what someone else has got, you're not enjoying what you have.

Outward appearances have no little to no correlation to a persons happiness.
0 Replies

krystal tipps

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:00 am
You know - living in Britain too I feel your pain. I watched a great programme recently with our hapless one-tme MP Michael Portillo taking about Britain's great losers and how we as a nation rejoiced in losing because at least we had tried.

You've not lost though - you've already won but you were in a different race.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:01 am
FreeDuck's right. Don't begrudge him his hard-earned money. He's earned it.

You're doing what you chose to do, and you're good at it. And you make enough to live well. You can be satisfied with your life. You've done well. It isn't all about money.

I'm leaving in a week to visit my sister near Seattle. She and my brother-in-law made a fortune simply by buying a couple of houses up there at the right time. She's very apologetic now about her good fortune, but I tell her just to enjoy it. I don't begrudge her anything at all. I'm perfectly happy with my own life.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:01 am
Seed wrote:

I would say that the other someone in question also busted his ass to make a living. I think it's more of "I did what I was supposed to do, stayed in school, pursued higher education, and did what was expected of me and the reward doesn't match the work. Someone else bucked expectations and made out better than I did." I can totally understand the sense of betrayal.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:52 am
Everyone has their own niche.

A kid can drop out of high school; start a lawn care service with just a lawn mower and the leg work to walk door-to-door offering his mowing services. Soon, he'll buy a truck, a trailer, and travel all around the city offering a variety of lawn care services. Soon thereafter, he'll expand into snow removal. Twenty years down the road . . . the lawn mower boy will probably be a millionaire . . . and employing dozens of people to service the thousands of contracts from long-term clients . . . and his phone will be ringing off the hook.

And don't forget about junk. One person's garbage is another person's treasure. The local junkman or the owner of the local wrecking yard are probably the richest people in town.

The common theme among the rich folk is hard work and tenacity . . . industrious individuals finding their niche.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:46 am
CalamityJane wrote:
I don't see it. Why not commend him for this success.
With the lack of education and little offerings he's had,
he made it anyways. I say: more power to him!!

Where is it written that only the educated are allowed
to be successful?

I'm not envious of him CJ nor do I wish him anything but the very best, it is however a little bit annoying when Frank Grimes (me) has to fight all his life to make ends meet, while Homer Simpson (my cousin) has just paid £750,000 cash for a house (1.3 $million) and has a monthly income which exceeds my annual income.

Dont you think?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:26 am
Of course Don, it is only natural that one get's annoyed.
You wonder why you have gone through all the trouble
when the reward is so much smaller.

Life is just not fair, Don.

One of my old neighbors was educated first at Westpoint,
then at Harvard, and his career was a promising one. Somehow the pressure got to him and he looked to alcohol
for solace. He ended up losing everything, and regained
"conscience" only 10 years later. Due to his fine education
it was much easier for him to regain what was once lost,
but it was a long and hard struggle for him.

There are so many factors playing into one's life, of which
luck seems to be the largest contributor.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:48 am
I'm sure you wish him all the best, but it is galling, all the same.

It proves the old adage "where there's muck, there's brass" (brass=money in UK, by the way).

But if he is the sort to rub your nose in it, just quietly pee in his pool each time you visit.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Of course Don, it is only natural that one get's annoyed.
You wonder why you have gone through all the trouble
when the reward is so much smaller.

Life is just not fair, Don.

I don't have any truck with that remark CJ Life bloody well isn't fair Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 09:29 am
Don
Don, I think he followed the old business saying, "find a need and fill it" and made a success of it.

BBB
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 04:35 pm
Don1, You sound like me.Some things just warrent a pointless complaint.That sucks
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I'm really pi**ed off
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/23/2024 at 02:12:38