Can you be happy with an incompatible partner?

ohso

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2020 03:31 am
I'm in a very long term relationship but we don't live together and don't plan on marrying each other. We even see each other very rarely. We never go on trips together. The reason for that is that we do love each other, but we are not compatible. By that I mean is that we don't argue or have a terrible time together, but we are very different. We have completely opposite interests, tastes, friends, and we can't even have a conversation about the topics we like because of that. We only chit chat. It's all superficial.

We don't want to break up, but I feel lonely in a relationship and not understood. It's not that I compare myself to others, but i would love to have a relationship like most people have where they do a lot of things together and get each other. I'm not happy this way, but I think I have a good friend in him, sex is good too. He is just not my dream guy and I have to let go of my dreams of having a family one day because it just won't happen with him. There is no romance. We can't force it by going on dates and so on, because the feeling is just not there.

We can't try to make it work, because it works, but there is no emotional connection. We can't fix it. We can't change our personalities to fit better. We're like buddies, we have nice time together, but we're not like best friends or lovers. Our relationship can't progress anywhere.

We used to have a deeper connection in the beginning, but as we got older, I matured and I'm not dependent on him as I used to be and that changed our dynamic. It doesn't feel like we're a couple anymore. It feels like we're on our own. I feel like I'm closer with some of my friends than with my bf. I don't know if it's normal. I wouldn't say we have grown apart, but we accepted that we can never grow together.

I doubt my dream guy exists. Even if I met him, I wouldn't leave my bf because he is loyal and good to me. I'm grateful. That is rare to find. I'm used to him. I can't imagine my life with anybody else.

I had an amazing soul connection with my ex who turned out to be a total jerk. So I know what a healthy relationship is. I know I have this now. But I keep coming back to that dream and longing of belonging to someone, when it feels like home. It's not just safe like this, it's more. It's when you can talk to someone without words. We can't. We don't even communicate deeply even with words. It's rarely we truly talk. He isn't into it.

Can I be happy in this relationship and how? I have my own life and things to do, but can I compensate with that the lack of connection with my partner? Is this the reality for majority of people when being in relationship or marriage for a long time? Are my expectations too high and immature?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 233 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2020 06:02 am
@ohso,
ohso wrote:

...It's all superficial.

.... There is no romance.

... Our relationship can't progress anywhere.

I doubt my dream guy exists. Even if I met him, I wouldn't leave my bf because he is loyal and good to me. I'm grateful. That is rare to find. I'm used to him. I can't imagine my life with anybody else....
Congratulations! It's a bouncing baby friends with benefits relationship.

It's also a prison, keeping you from making an effort, going out and trying to meet someone else.

It's also a prison of your own making.

Your boyfriend's loyalty and kindness are nice, but if you are not feeling it as a relationship, then there is no law saying you cannot break up. It doesn't have to be shattered glassware and slamming doors. You can calmly, maturely say, "I'm afraid this isn't working out." This situation is what that statement is more or less tailor made for.

Your boyfriend will probably, deep down, be relieved that the charade is over. And as for you, if you care at all for him as a human being, then you will let him go to pursue other potential interests. For you are holding him hostage as well (and if he were here, I would be telling him to throw in the towel as well).

There is nothing inherently wrong with FWB - but FWB is a big problem, because inevitably, someone's feelings overtake the other person's, and then it becomes drama. Your post does not indicate that you want FWB - it screams that you want a serious relationship.

This is not it. You are not going to turn this spoon into a knife.

All of this being said, recognize that perfection really doesn't exist. You're likely not going to find a Hallmark movie love story happy ending, where you two wear matching turtleneck sweaters and do everything together because your SO fulfills every single need you have in your life. That's not realistic.

And it's not fair to anyone. Your love should be your love, not also your movies buddy, your tennis partner, your friend to go antiquing with, or whatever. Not that you can't do such things with your love. But understand that you can and should have friends mainly fulfilling many of those roles. Even the most perfect relationships have plenty of time where the couple is apart (even if just for work), and the participants either hang out with others or cultivate and exploit their own inner resources.

They don't put all their relationship "eggs" into one basket.

Time to find another basket.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can you be happy with an incompatible partner?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 09:36:57