grammar question...difference between direct and indirect object

shug23

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2020 11:08 am
Helping my son with German and am a little confused on grammar
I know the man ...Ich kenne den Mann.......Mann is the direct object
we help the man...Wir helfen dem Mann......Mann is now the indirect object.....I don't understand the difference why one is direct and the other is indirect...

can someone explain ? Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 259 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 07:08 am
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:

Helping my son with German and am a little confused on grammar
I know the man ...Ich kenne den Mann.......Mann is the direct object
we help the man...Wir helfen dem Mann......Mann is now the indirect object.....I don't understand the difference why one is direct and the other is indirect...

can someone explain ? Thank you
Actually, we don't have (use) these terms in German.
The terms direct and indirect object originate from English grammar and are essentially the same as our terms of accusative and dative object.

In my opinion, the terms are not suitable for correctly designating an object in German, but they are a help for a foreign language learner in the beginning.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 07:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
If you have a language without a case system as your mother tongue (e.g. French, English, Chinese), you often learn the general rule :
• convert direct object to accusative;
• convert indirect object into dative.

However, one must then also learn that a sentence element that is a direct object in the mother tongue does not always correspond to a (German) accusative object.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 07:17 am
thx...can you explain why the article for Mann is different in the two sentences ? Is it because of the verb hilfen ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 07:29 am
@shug23,
The article is the same - only "der" in accusative and dative.

But you are correct: it's because of the verb helfen - helfen is one of the verbs expressing their object in the dative.

>This pdf-page< gives example sentences with various verbs expressing their object in dative and accusative.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 07:41 am
Danke. es ist jetzt ein bisshen Klar.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 08:10 am
@shug23,
No problem.

If you don't mind Danke. es ist jetzt ein bisshen Klar would be better "Danke, jetzt ist es ein bisschen klarer".
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 08:13 am
hope you don't mind if I come across additional question to ask you. I had 2 years of German way back in the 1970's so may get stuck as I tutor my son...Thanks agaim
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » grammar question...difference between direct and indirect object
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 03:57:01