China's relationship with Japan and Korea?

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:31 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
ableIIknow, I sincerely believe you are missing the points being made. 1. Reestablishing hate by the Chinese government against the Japanese, many of whom weren't even born or were children, is dumb. You may agree or disagree; it's only my personal opinion. 2. As for the hater hurting the hater more than the hated, it's true whether it's at a personal level or is directed towards a whole group of people. Here again, it's only my personal opinon, and you are free to agree or disagree.

imposter, I agree. As for the Chinese hating the Japanese I thought the Chinese has always hated them and they finally took this opportunity to express their feelings. And as for the "hater hurting the hater more than the hated" it is only your personal opinion again imposter, I agree.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:39 am
There's an interesting front page article in today's San Jose Mercury News. A Cupertino activist, Ignatius Ding, has been successful to rally millions over atrocities by Japan during WWII. What was interesting for me was the summary provided within the article which I would like to share. It's titled: TWO SIDES OF THE STORY.

Apology:
What Global Alliiance wants (henceforth as GA):
An apology duly enacted by the Japanese Deit.

What the Japanese say they've already done (henceforth Japanese):
Japanese PM Junichiro Kois\zumi apologized again today, pledging that Japan would never forget the "terrible lessons" of the war. An apology by then-PM Tomiichi Murayama in 1995 on the 50th anniversary of the war's end was approved by the Cabinet and stated that Japan had "caused tremendous damage and suffering to the people of many countries, particularly to those of Asian nations."

Compensation:
GA: A law autorizing the government to compensate victims of Japanes atrocities and creating a mechanism for determining just compensation.
Japanese: Japan paid reparations tied to the San Francisco Peace Treaty and other bilateral agreements, including the one re-establishing dpilomatic ties with China in 1978. Japan forfeited $2.8 billion in assets abroad at the end of the war and paid $8.4 billion to a number of Asian countries.

Historical record:
GA: The law must mandate a faithful collection, documentation, preservation and distribution of the truths about Japanese aggression in the Pacific War, 19331-1945. The legislation must mandate the textbooks in Japan to accurately reflect this histoiry in perpetuity.
Japanese: Japan's wartime aggression, including the Nanjing Massacre, is described in all 26 history textbooks that have been approved by the government of Japan.

No commemoration:
GA: The law must prohibit and punish any individual who denies these crimes. Those who are in public service or hold elected offices shall be prohibited from worshipping war criminals and assisting or financing the construction of facilities that glorify and commemorate militarism.
Japanese: PM Koizumi has explained many times that the purpose of his visit to the Uasakuni Shrine, which includes the burial plots of war criminals, is to mourn the victims who were forced to go to the battlefield during Meiji Resorattion, a period in the 1800s that marks the modernization of Japan.

Bottom Line:
GA: The law must stipulate that violating any of the provisions above shall be prosecuted and punished by jail terms and fines.
Japanese: Japan is a pacifist, democratic country with an unwavering record on human rights for 60 years.

offered without comment. c.i.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 06:03 pm
Well well well...

cicerone imposter wrote:

Japanese PM Junichiro Kois\zumi apologized again today, pledging that Japan would never forget the "terrible lessons" of the war. An apology by then-PM Tomiichi Murayama in 1995 on the 50th anniversary of the war's end was approved by the Cabinet and stated that Japan had "caused tremendous damage and suffering to the people of many countries, particularly to those of Asian nations."

an apology that was forced, indirect and not genuine - such apology was a reluctant one which occurred only after the threat of even more unstable relations btwn China and Japan.

Quote:
Japanese: Japan paid reparations tied to the San Francisco Peace Treaty and other bilateral agreements, including the one re-establishing dpilomatic ties with China in 1978. Japan forfeited $2.8 billion in assets abroad at the end of the war and paid $8.4 billion to a number of Asian countries.

If they had surrendered earlier, they would have lessened their losses, lessened their killings and the A-bombs may have never been dropped.

Quote:
Japanese: Japan's wartime aggression, including the Nanjing Massacre, is described in all 26 history textbooks that have been approved by the government of Japan.

Approved by the government of Japan, but not necessarily approved by the facts of history.

Quote:
Japanese: PM Koizumi has explained many times that the purpose of his visit to the Uasakuni Shrine, which includes the burial plots of war criminals, is to mourn the victims who were forced to go to the battlefield during Meiji Resorattion, a period in the 1800s that marks the modernization of Japan.

And as many people have argued before (notably the Chinese, but this is justified) - this would be like Germany visiting Hitler's bunker.

Quote:
Japanese: Japan is a pacifist, democratic country with an unwavering record on human rights for 60 years.

unwavering Human rights record for their own country and people only - but with no respect for their fellow Asian neighbours.

Thanks, c.i for putting this article up.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 06:15 pm
prag, I offered it without comment, because I'm not sure about the true motivations of why Japan apologized so late. Whether it was sincere or not is not for me to decide.

During WWII, the American government put us into concentration camps in the US - even citizens like me, a mere child of six years old.

I have long ago forgiven my country, although their apology came in 1982 - more than 37 years after the war was over.

To forgive or not to forgive is an individual thing, and I would never attaempt to speak for others.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:26 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
prag, I offered it without comment, because I'm not sure about the true motivations of why Japan apologized so late. Whether it was sincere or not is not for me to decide.

During WWII, the American government put us into concentration camps in the US - even citizens like me, a mere child of six years old.

I have long ago forgiven my country, although their apology came in 1982 - more than 37 years after the war was over.

To forgive or not to forgive is an individual thing, and I would never attaempt to speak for others.

Yeah about that imposter.... pretty much when you put up your article and say, "prag, I offered it without comment..." you're expected to get a reply back because pretty much the article is your comment.

The article you put up has a few points that are debatable which prags already mentioned.

As for me yesterday (give or take a few days) all I saw on the news was minus a few years and you get Japan declares war on Germany. I'd wonder why at the same time I'm a forgiving guy and not wonder why and leave it as is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:45 pm
Ofcoarse I'm expecting some replies - both pro and con. You have a problem with that?
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:33 pm
No of course not... guru in training...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:04 pm
Just for clarification; that article is not my comment in any way. I was not the author. I can speak for myself.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:59 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Just for clarification; that article is not my comment in any way. I was not the author. I can speak for myself.

Okay then the article was just something you used to post your reply because you thought the author spoke pretty well for you when you posted that article. And yes you have spoken for yourself... not when you posted that article though...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 10:10 am
Whatever that pleases you.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 04:48 pm
It's sad how some people force respect and mannerism as part of their culture and never actually earn the respect and mannerism that they so desparately seek...

When they think they speak the truth... sadly they're far from it...

As the culture's social ways... if I am of higher stature than you in any manner you better bow before me as you speak...

Yes... whatever pleases me...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 05:07 pm
aiik, What's wrong with you? I said I posted the article to get opinions, both pro and con. I also said, it does not represent my thinking on the subject. Why are so insistent in trying to say something I have not said or implied.

1. I was not the author of the article.
2. I posted it to get some response - both pro and con.
3. The article does not represent my thinking on the subject.

Kapesh?
0 Replies