Advice on Blackberry cleansing, Please.

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2020 09:47 am
I've just harvested a bunch of wild blackberries from my garden. I recall my mother, pointing out, they may contain 'unwanted guests' (maggots, larvae, etc) - I believe she used to soak them in water - For a period of time, just in case.
I have no intention of killing fly-babies - I'd eat them raw (Berries - Not Fly-babies).
But... Is there a Gold-standard, regarding blackberry harvest & pre-consumption measures, Please?

Cheers!
Mark
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 427 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2020 02:03 pm
@mark noble,
Give them a gentle rinse first. This removes some of the loose elements which fill the air, off them.
Inspect and remove mushy parts and any still attached stems.

Soak them in water or vinegar and water or in apple cider vinegar and water. When combining a vinegar and water, 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar. Then pour the water out, gently rinse (more debris and/or hugs are removed), repeat the water or water/vinegar thing.
(soaks are less than an hour each)

Add water or vinegar and water a third time.
Let soak overnight at room temperature with a tea towel covering them
(to prevent dirt). In the morning, drain and dry. Then eat them. Or freeze them.

By the way,some people use a salt water solution. No idea why or how that is done.
Dr Sliptinschit

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2020 01:31 pm
@mark noble,
https://delishably.com/fruits/how-to-clean-blackberries-after-picking
RABEL222

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2020 03:57 pm
clean? when I was a kid back in prehistoric times when I found a patch of berries I would eat then directly off the bush. cleaning them ruined the taste.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2020 04:53 pm
I was trying to figure out why every time I read the title of this thread, I think it refers to a somewhat outdated electronic device.... then I figured it out.

The device Blackberry is capitalized... the fruit is lower-case.
mark noble

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 06:01 am
@Sturgis,
Thanks Sturgis.
Because nobody responded (Before I needed) I soaked them in water for 1hr (They, naturally submerged - Would've discarded 'floaters' - Were none) drained them, and left in fridge, overnight.
Then tucked-in.

All went well. - I daily-dose on Organic ACV (apple cider vinegar) anyway - But will add a teaspoon to my next collection - I soaked last weeks' harvest, overnight, and all the flavour leeched-out.

Thankyou.
Mark
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 06:04 am
@Dr Sliptinschit,
Don't take this personally.
Take your links and Go forth &, PLEASE!, resist 'multiplying'.

This was ONCE a "CHAT-FORUM".
NOT A GOOGLE-DIRECTORY SERVICE.

Have A Lovely Day
mark noble

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 06:07 am
@maxdancona,
SoRRy, MaX, BuT YOu kNOw I aM noT oNe foR "coNFOrMiTY""".
Mark
Dr Sliptinschit

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 06:19 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
clean? when I was a kid back in prehistoric times when I found a patch of berries I would eat then directly off the bush. cleaning them ruined the taste.

I ate a peach pie off of bush one time, I think she liked it.
Dr Sliptinschit

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 06:30 am
@mark noble,
I don't use google. I use duckduckgo.com

Google is a racist, liberal hate cult.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 06:40 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

SoRRy, MaX, BuT YOu kNOw I aM noT oNe foR "coNFOrMiTY""".
Mark

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 08:18 am
I happen to think the A2K moderators do a very good job. This is a private site, and the moderators have he right to moderate however they see fit.

There is a very large range of opinions expressed here from anarchy, to orthodox liberalism and neo-liberalism, to libertarianism, to conservatism, to posts that border on White Supremacy. In most cases where posts are censored, I agree with the moderators. In other cases, I disagree with them... but I understand their reasoning and I still support them.

Posts whining about posts about posts whining about posts being deleted.... I am sorry, but I agree with the "A2K-police" on this one.

In any case, choose your battles. You aren't going to win a war waged on a website with the people who control the website. That is the very definition of a fight you can't win.
Teufel

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2020 06:26 pm
@Dr Sliptinschit,
Dr Sliptinschit wrote:

Quote:

I ate a peach pie off of bush one time, I think she liked it.

The generosity of some females truly never fails to amaze ... I bet she was the prettiest one in the sty as well
0 Replies

Dr Sliptinschit

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2020 06:34 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
Don't take this personally.
Take your links and Go forth &, PLEASE!, resist 'multiplying'.

This was ONCE a "CHAT-FORUM".
NOT A GOOGLE-DIRECTORY SERVICE.

Have A Lovely Day

Thinking that BLACKberries need washing is racist!
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2020 06:36 am
@maxdancona,
Well stated, Max.
Wasn't whining - Don't whine - Not really interested.
I was, simply, illuminating the fact (And I post on multiple, massive, chatsites) that (Being beyond the 'bubble') some 'chatsites' (And, again, I was highlighting this, from (Out of the 'bubble') experience) - Have become less 'chatty' and more 'Here's a link, go look' orientated.

People can, myself included, google 'anything' - When they choose to attend 'forums', myself included, they, I, seek a more 'UNAUTOMATED' response (Human-interaction).

Remember this.

When I initiate a thread to discuss this - I get suspended (So be it).
But I do so with good intent - For, you guys (Within the 'collective' bubble) Cannot perceive the 'ROC' (Rate of Change).

'Chat-Forums' are on the verge of extinction - Everything is 'Instant', Now.
Much of this world is 'New-Normalised', daily.

Forgive my endeavours to highlight this.

All the best to you & those of your bubble, sir.
Have a Lovely day
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2020 01:01 pm
@Sturgis,
I added a tsp of Cider vinegar (This harvest) - No issues, No sharpened taste.
Will use CV from this point on.

Kinda like the added-disinfenctoid (Mental-quell).

Cheers, Sturgis.

Have a Lovely day
Mark
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Advice on Blackberry cleansing, Please.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 01:16:29