Pumps A and B Working Together

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 11:58 am
Working alone, pump A can empty a pool in 3 hours. Working alone, pump B can empty the same pool in 2 hours. Working together, how many minutes will it take pump A and pump B to empty the pool?

A. 72

B. 75

C. 84

D. 96

E. 108

Let t = the number of minutes it will take both pumps to empty the pool.

1/2 + 1/3 = 1/t

(3 + 2)/6 = 1/t

5/6 = 1/t

6 = 5t

6/5 = t

(6/5)(60) = t

6•12 = t

72 = t

The answer is 72 minutes.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 269 • Replies: 11
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 03:34 pm
@blueridge,
Interesting approach but correct.
blueridge

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 05:47 pm
@engineer,
What approach would you use to find the same answer?
engineer

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:22 pm
@blueridge,
I would say one pump pumps 1/3 pump per hour, the other pumps 1/2 pools per hour so the combined rate is (1/3 + 1/2), so (1/3 + 1/2) t = 1. That is the same equation you used with the t on the other side. I normally see rate x time = volume. You did rate = volume/time, equally valid.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 06:08 am
Not everyone is around on the weekend so I wouldn't worry about the lack of participation. You are welcome to discuss politics here on the politics threads. There are some pretty polarized positions here, but we are moderated and try to keep the personal attacks down.
blueridge

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 06:51 am
@engineer,
Ok. I will try this site for about two months. Hope to see more participants. If I see an increase in the amount of people responding, correcting and helping each other with math, I will then make my permanent stay.

Visit the other forums listed in the previous reply. I know you will enjoy all the math professionals there. They are simply genius material. No matter what the question is, they find a solution. In fact, they show several methods to find the same answer. They are very strict in terms of the following:

A. Learning to post using LaTex.

B. Show work if you are asking for math help.

Not following the two rules above leads to quick banning from the forums not to mention anything related to politics and religion.
engineer

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 06:59 am
@blueridge,
One caveat is that this is not a math forum so much as an all purpose forum. If you ask a question, people will try to help you based on their areas of expertise. There are numerous people who will help with math, so post away, but it's likely not going to be like those math forums.
blueridge

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 07:57 am
@engineer,
Ok. Will do. Currently reviewing the Law of Sines, particularly the ambiguous case. This means precalculus during the week and mostly word problems on the weekend.

My main issue with word problems is setting up the right equation(s) leading to the right answer. I am mainly talking about test prep word problems often found in GRE, GMAT and SAT study books. I can do ASVAB and GED word problems with my eyes closed.

When it comes to the GRE, GMAT and SAT, it's a totally new ball game. By the way, I am not going to ever take the GRE, GMAT and/or SAT. All three have interestingly challenging word problems. Yes, I'm a math nerd at 55.

I love solving for x. Maybe you think I'm nuts but honestly, I just love math problems like some people like word search, painting, nature walking, etc. Math is just a hobby.
engineer

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 08:01 am
@blueridge,
I get it, it's the joy of solving the problem. Here's one for you, on an old fashion clock with twelve numbers on the face, the hands form a right angle at 3:00. What is the next time they form a right angle?
blueridge

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 09:14 am
@engineer,
Thanks for the question but please wait for me to post questions that I'm stuck with on my precalculus journey.

Hour hand:

Makes one revolution in 12 hours.

In one minute, the angles increases by

360 / (12*60) = 0.5º

It starts at 3:00 which is 90º.

x_1 = 90 + 0.5m

----------------------

Minute hand:

Makes one revoultiuon in 1 hour.

In one minute, the angles increases by

360 / 60 = 6º.

It starts at 0º

x_2 = 6m

---------------------

The next time they will be at 90º:

x_2 - x_1 = 90

6m - (90 + 0.5m) = 90

5.5m = 180

m = 32.7272727273

32 minutes 43.63... seconds

The time we are looking for is

~ 3:32:44.

You say?
engineer

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 09:24 am
@blueridge,
That's perfect. It's a relative motion problem, similar to the famous train problems but with angular speed. The relative motion of the minute hand with respect to the hour hand is 330 degrees per hour, so to go 180 degrees (90 behind to 90 ahead) takes 180/330 hours, just like you computed.
blueridge

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 11:10 am
@engineer,
It took me 15 minutes to figure it out. That's too long for someone that has been answering textbook questions for years. Mostly algebra 1 and 2 questions and few applications but no excuse at my end. Look for my questions. I may find time to post law of sines applications later this evening.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Pumps A and B Working Together
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/09/2024 at 06:25:45