A NEEDLE HITTING THE EARTH AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 05:35 am
With classical physics you would expect nothing to happen. The mass of an average needle is one gram, or around 0.001 kg. The mass of the Earth is an immense 5.9 × 10 to the 24th power kg. The needle is moving at the speed of light, or around 300,000,000 miles a second. The Earth is moving at a much lower speed of 30,000 miles a second. And if you use conservation of momentum, you will find that there is literally no reaction between the two. Although the needle is moving at such a high speed, the mass of the Earth is so comparatively immense. However, with relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its momentum approaches infinity. Because of this, it doesn't matter what the mass or velocity of the object the particle at the speed of light is striking, since it has infinite momentum, the collision will result in a massive loss of kinetic energy. And such a wave of kinetic energy, combined with the impact of the collision, will probably destroy the Earth and all life on the planet.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,164 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 11:41 am
@Vette888,
Why wouldn’t this needle burn up as soon as it approaches the earth’s atmosphere. This is a ridiculous hypothetical example for what useful purpose?
Tryagain

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 04:25 pm
@Ragman,
I have nowed ya since you was a sack boy and I can understand your concern that a carelessly discarded bobby pin could be the precursor to external extinction.

However, I would seek to assure you and indeed the entire membership of A2K that the quoted figure of 300,000,000 miles a second is somewhat in excess of the true measured speed of light, which is 186.000 mps.

I do believe that Vette was confusing miles with metres!
BTW the earth orbits at nearly 30 kilometres per second, or 67,000 mph.

As it will take over 100.000 years for light to cross the Milky Way, you will have plenty of time to enjoy a BBQ this evening without the fear of catastrophe.

To answer your question as to why the needle wouldn't burn up... as nothing travels faster than light, the heat couldn't catch up.

The question remains however, what is the speed of 'Dark' when there is no light?

This insightful riposte was sponsored by the Trump 4 2028 Campaign.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 05:48 pm
A needle can't move at the speed of light. All the energy in the entire universe couldn't make a needle move that fast.

Sure, something striking the earth with infinite energy would be bad news for the planet. But where are you going to get infinite energy from?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A NEEDLE HITTING THE EARTH AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:09:53