Has the Onion Jumped the Shark?

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:53 am
Is it me? Is it them? Is it the context, in which everyone and their cousin has taken the general tone of the Onion and applied it to their own T-shirt/ Blog/ Humor site?

I'm just not really laughing anymore. I skim through, heh, not bad, beginning of a half smile that never gets there, read "Savage Love", skim movie reviews... and that's pretty much it.

The Onion used to be a source of gasps and belly laughs and forwarding and cutting out (going way back) or printing out and taping in a prominent place.

Not lately.

The "futuristic" issue was especially shark-jumpy.

I'm wondering if the context thing is a big part of it, that their original voice has been co-opted. I mean, seeing the "Penis Fear" issue as a freshman made a lasting impression on me -- I can't imagine it having as much impact today.

Then again, I was a freshman.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,342 • Replies: 24
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:47 pm
New York city... they moved and it hasn't been the same since.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:50 pm
Yeah, there was a change when they got to the big city, you're right. Their sensibility is too midwest-based -- it's like they didn't look out their window for inspiration anymore, more inward. More self-referential.

Plus I think the main guy quit a while ago, didn't he? Or removed himself from day-to-day operations, something like that?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:53 pm
Yeah, he stopped in 2000:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Dikkers
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:06 pm
I definitely think it's less funny. I used to read point-counter-point and practically wet my pants. I still check the horoscopes and browse the main page now and again.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:15 pm
I've noticed that the older I get the more jaded and jaundiced I am about thigh-slapping humor.

Instead of laughter, I summon a weak polite smile and look for the exit.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:00 am
Housewife Charged In Sex for Security Scamhttp://theonion.com/images/445/article3268.jpgrest of the story
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 10:15 am
OK, that's pretty funny. :-)

I think it has to be at least partly context/ high expectations. I hadn't seen that one, and read it here, and laughed, and went to the Onion (hadn't checked yet this week) and it wasn't there, and the ones that were there were kind of eh. So then I thought jp had found something new and funnier, and clicked the link, and there it was on the Onion. And it didn't seem as funny. :-?

So maybe it's just me.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 10:17 am
sozobe wrote:
Yeah, there was a change when they got to the big city, you're right. Their sensibility is too midwest-based -- it's like they didn't look out their window for inspiration anymore, more inward. More self-referential.

Plus I think the main guy quit a while ago, didn't he? Or removed himself from day-to-day operations, something like that?

The Onion has been around for about twelve years, I think. I was in 8th grade, lived in Milwaukee, I'd get the Onion at the drugstore.

My overall assessment is that I am impressed with how long the Onion has kept in funny. While I agree that perhaps there haven't been classics like "Smoking Pot Linked to Sitting Around and Getting High" as frequently, I still get a good laugh from the Onion. It's certainly funnier than most comic enterprises, Jay Leno for example, who I'm pretty sure is an alien poised to melt our faces any day now.

Also, I find it remarkable that it is creative work that people actually read on a weekly basis! I'm still hopeful that someday a free publication will be available that features poetry, fiction, and art that people will read, maybe if you sandwhich the art with interviews, music reviews, comics, humor, like the Onion.

As a hopeful fiction writer in progress from the Midwest, I'm really interested in the nature of regional humor. The irony of the Onion is something that everyone I went to high school with seemed to possess and appreciate naturally.

But I say the Onion is alive and well, particulary the editorials. Those have always been my favorite.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 10:30 am
sozobe wrote:
OK, that's pretty funny. :-)

I think it has to be at least partly context/ high expectations. I hadn't seen that one, and read it here, and laughed, and went to the Onion (hadn't checked yet this week) and it wasn't there, and the ones that were there were kind of eh. So then I thought jp had found something new and funnier, and clicked the link, and there it was on the Onion. And it didn't seem as funny. :-?

So maybe it's just me.

It was from last weeks paper. It was the only story that I really laughed out loud at so I don't think it is just you.

Well actually this one was pretty funny too... but you shouldn't click on the link if you are easily offended.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:33 pm
Heh!

"And where did he get those fantastic boots?"

(If you're easily offended you prolly shouldn't get anywhere near the Onion, period.)

OK, I think the moral here is either a) last week's issue was pretty good or b) I gotta look harder. (Hadn't seen either of those.)
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:38 pm
I'm going with half of answer A.

There were just a couple of good articles in last weeks but that is about it.
Overall I do think the quality has gone down.
0 Replies

C1eopatra

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:40 am
I think it has.

Occasionally, you can still find a gem or two, but in general, Fonzie has struck.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 11:00 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:44 pm
At least three articles from the newest issue posted here today (that I know of)... some kinda upswing going on. (It was a good issue!)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 03:40 am
Re: Has the Onion Jumped the Shark?
sozobe wrote:
I'm just not really laughing anymore. I skim through, heh, not bad, beginning of a half smile that never gets there, read "Savage Love", skim movie reviews... and that's pretty much it.

I suspect that's "can't tickle yourself syndrome". (We need such a word.) Your brain has ingested Onion-style humor for about fifteen years now. Unlike when you first read it, you now open the Onion with a pretty good idea of what to expect. And since laughing is all about encountering something unexpected, you don't laugh as much anymore.

I am willing to test this idea with an open mind though. I have only started reading the Onion when you recommended it to me about three years ago. I still find it about as funny as I did the first time. Now, if you could show me a ten-year-old Onion article that sent you into hysterics back then, I'd be happy to read it. If I find it funnier than what I read in the Onion nowadays, that suggests it got less funny after all, because the "can't tickle yourself" effect would work the other way for me. If it's the Onion-quality humor I know from current issues, it would indicate that it's your reaction to the humor that has changed, not the humor itself.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:08 am
This is one of my faves from 2000.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33296
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:46 am
Iraqi Constitution Ratified, Burnedhttp://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Iraqi-Constitution-C.article.jpg
Iraqi leaders pose with the constitution after its historic signing.

After many weeks of squabbling and protracted negotiations between Kurds, Sunnis, and Shiites, the historic document was declared the law of the land and destroyed late Monday afternoon, in what Talabani characterized as "a vital step toward restoring law and order in this war-torn nation."

A car bomb killing 12 U.S. servicemen and 26 Iraqi civilians briefly interrupted the speech.

"Today in Iraq, the voice of the people was heard loud and clear," Talabani said as U.S. fighter jets launched a retaliatory air strike overhead. "It is moving to see so many Iraqis getting involved in the political process."
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:48 am
Bush Orders Mass Bald Eagle Slaugter to Stop Spread of Bird Flu
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:49 am
This So Typical Of Hemophiliac
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Has the Onion Jumped the Shark?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 06:32:47