A question about qualitative social research

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 10:24 pm
I have bachelor degrees in psychology and sociology and I want to help my cousin with her post graduate paper on sociology. I came to realize that her university is all for qualitative research and not quantitative, that I am a little better at. I feel a little overwhelmed. I would like to know if someone can help me with this question: Which is a suitable qualitative method to use in order to compare theories on one social phenomenon (violence towards women). We have already presented to the professor her research goal of comparing structural and feminist theories of gendered violence.My cousin will be able to have 12 interviews with abused women. At this phase I only want to point to me the method so I can read more about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 170 • Replies: 2
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2020 07:49 am
@donegal1975kiato,
I am not sure I understand your question. There is a good article on qualitative research on Wikipedia. But... basically it involves asking questions and listening to narratives.

Qualitative research can not provide definitive answers to questions. It can provide insights and help to develop hypotheses that can then be tested

I would come up with some interesting open ended questions designed to encourage people to share their personal experiences. Then I would listen and write about what they said.

You have to understand that qualitative research never proves anything definitively. If tf you accept that, it should be straight forward to collect personal narratives and come up with insights.
donegal1975kiato

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2020 11:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank you for your answer. I guess I have to explore the qualitative set of mind before trying to help.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A question about qualitative social research
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 06:25:30