Latin-English translation

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 06:55 am
Dear friends, Can somebody help me and correct my translations? Kind regads
(III- Socrates 36)
Illud omnium maxime celebratur, quod Socrates dicebat se nihil scire, nisi hoc unum, quod nihil sciret. Inquirebat enim de singulis rebus tamquam ambiens, non quod re vera nihil haberet pro certo cognitum, sed hac ironia et suam declarabat modestiam et aliorum redarguebat arrogantiam, qui se profitebantur nihil nescire, cum re vera nihil scirent. Sophistae quidam publice profitebantur sese ex tempore responsuros ad omnem propositam materiam. Horum arrogantiam et inscitiam saepe accusabat Socrates. Atque ob hoc ipsum – ut ipse interpretatur – ab Apolline iudicatus est sapiens, quamvis omnium rerum ignorantiam cum ceteris haberet communem, eo nomine tamen illos superaret, quod suam inscitiam agnosceret, cum illi hoc quoque nescirent, se nihil scire

This is the most praised (=proclaimed) of all that Socrates has said that he knew nothing unless one thing that he knew nothing. He investigated indeed about every single one of things (=matters) so as inspecting not because he had nothing true on behalf of argue to be acquainted with but this irony and his announce restrain and other refute insolence who he declared that he knows nothing when they really don’t know about a matter. A certain of sophists were declared publicly that they (themselves) would answer by occasion to every subject which was setting for (=which was discoursed). Socrates accused often the arrogance and ignorance of these (one). And on account of this it itself -as he himself was interpreted- he has been judged by Apollo as a wise man, although he defeated that ignorance of every matters for this reason since he had the common with the rest because he realized his ignorance when he also didn´t know that he knew nothing.

(III-Socrates- 28/29)
Socrates per forum ambulans, cum aspiceret mercium
copiam, quae illic vendebantur, ita secum loqui consuevit: „Quam multis rebus
ego non egeo! Ast alii cruciantur animo ita cogitantes: ‚Quam multa mihi
desunt.‘“ Dicere solitus est eum esse deis simillimum, qui quam paucissimis
egeret, cum dii omnino nullius egeant rei. At vulgus divites deis proximos
existimat

Once Socrates was walking through the forum (=market-place) when he was observing the stock of merchandises which were sold in that place, he became accustomed to say with himself in such a way “ how enormous the things are, I don´t need , but while thinking in such a way he was tormented in mind by someone. , how many things fail me. It is said that it is most similar to gods who would need a few when gods need entirely nothing of matters. But the rich people esteem the nearest (one) to gods.

(III- Socrates 59)
Cum Socrates Xanthippen diu rixantem tulisset in aedibus ac tandem fessus consedisset ante fores, illa magis irritata quiete viri de fenestra perfudit eum lotio. Ridentibus, qui praeteribant, et ipse Socrates adridebat dicens: „Facile divinabam post tantum tonitrum secuturam esse pluviam!“ Maluit autem
vir sapiens tolerantiae exemplum de se praebere quam ridiculum exhibere spectaculum viri cum uxore certantis.

When Socrates had brought Xanthippe to a shrine after disputing for a long time he was at last exhausted and had sat down before the door, (that (woman)= she) was very angry from the peace of (her) husband she poured over him from the window the washing (liquid). Those who were passing by were laughing and Socrates himself was smiling while saying,” I would guess easily after so much thunder that it would be followed a shower.”

(III- Socrates 81)
Dicebat enim Socrates sibi peculiarem esse daemonem, a quo prohiberetur arcano signo, si quid temptaret parum honestum. Genium autem illum opinor fuisse rationem.

Socrates said indeed that an evil demon was specific (=private) to him from whom he was forbidden by a hidden sign if he tried a distinguished pair of contestants. However it is supposed to be a genius judgment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 558 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Positiveplus

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 01:30 pm
@Angela900,
I studied Latin 2 years, don't really remember anything. I remember doing those translations too... Meh
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Latin-English translation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:12:48