Math Textbooks Versus Study Guides

harpazo

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2020 07:51 am
I find that study guides like the famous MATH FOR DUMMIES series are far better in terms of self-study than textbooks. Math textbook in particular are like hieroglyphics to most students. What do you say? Which do you prefer for self-study and review?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 267 • Replies: 6
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2020 08:41 am
@harpazo,
That depends on your purpose.

If you are looking for serious study, I had luck with Schaum's outlines (I used them to prepare for an advanced calculus course after I had been out of college for 12 years). They are a little sparse and not designed for "comfort". But they have the right material and if you work through the problems you will master it (at least in my experience).

I have never looked at "Math for Dummies". I have looked at some of the other "for dummies" books on different topics. I didn't find that they covered the subject with any depth. If you are looking for a summary overview they should be fine, if you find them enjoyable.

harpazo

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2020 01:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Do you recommend the Schaum's series, you know, the Schaum's books for study and review? If MATH FOR DUMMIES is not in depth and/or skips a lot of the main topics, then may it is not a good idea. Watch Professor Leonard on You Tube. He is simply amazing!
maxdancona

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 07:05 am
@harpazo,
What is your goal?

How you study math depends on what you would like to accomplish.
harpazo

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 07:24 am
@maxdancona,
I am going to find time to post everything that is mathematics. From arithmetic to multivariable calculus to differential equations to linear algebra, etc. I hope you will join me on this journey into the depths of numbers. Are you with me?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 07:42 am
@harpazo,
If it is intelligent and interesting... sure.

I posted a mathematical topic on random numbers a while back. I didn't get too much intelligent interest.

harpazo

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 05:44 pm
@maxdancona,
I will open a discussion when time allows.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Math Textbooks Versus Study Guides
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 07:15:43