Do you italicize a movie's names when it's mentioned in a fiction novel?

MLT44

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 12:41 am
I've read the rules about how to write the titles of movies, whether to italicize them or place them within quotation marks, and most manuals and sites say that they should be italicized. So, here's my question. What if a movie is being mentioned within the pages of a fiction novel, like, for instance, a character talks or thinks about a movie they saw? I, personally, would think it odd to italicize a movie's name in that situation, especially within dialogue. And what if a character says something like, "I like the Star Wars movies." They are speaking of more than one movie.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 437 • Replies: 1
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 02:35 pm
@MLT44,
Not answerable here. It all depends on the publishing house and what set of grammatical rules they follow.

MLA (Modern Language Association); Chicago Manual of Style; their own proprietary set of grammatical rules; etc....

Best just to format it the way you prefer until the editor asks you to make the related changes accordingly.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do you italicize a movie's names when it's mentioned in a fiction novel?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:28:56