ask vs wonder

ayman2

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:01 pm
Hello, teachers.
I'd like to know whether "ask" and "wonder" can be used interchangeably.
I came across some references that mentioned that "wonder" isn't used in reporting questions or when we are asking real questions. And that it is only used for showing inner doubts.
However, I found in "Longman grammar" and "Oxford Guide to English Grammar" some sentences using it.
So, can we choose either word in such a sentence?
Adam [wondered / asked] if I had bought some milk.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 242 • Replies: 3
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:11 pm
@ayman2,
No, they are not interchangeable.

First of all, the word "ask" is either transitive or intransitive. If I ask my daughter if we have any milk, my daughter is the direct object. "Wonder" is intransitive. It doesn't take an object.

Second, "ask" is something active. It is a form of communication, usually either by speech or by text. Wonder is generally an internal mental state (something that I am thinking passively).

If Adam wonders about milk, he may say nothing. You might not even know what he is wondering.

If Adam asks about milk, then he is speaking to you in the form of a question about milk.

The confusion is that sometimes we use the word "wonder" is part of a dialog. This isn't the normal use of the word.

ayman2

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
What confused me much is finding some examples using "wonder" in reported questions:
"Who are you waiting for?" __ Alex wondered who I was waiting for.
(Oxford Guide to English Grammar. Page 354)
"Did you study hard for the exam?" (She wondered .....)
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 11:21 pm
@ayman2,
I was wrong about the intransitive part. "Wonder" is transitive in sentences like "I wonder what I will have for dinner".
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » ask vs wonder
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/25/2024 at 07:32:36