Calculus > Inverse Function

cin123

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 08:27 am
Determine the inverse g(x) of the function f(x) = (1+(1/x)), stating its domain and range. Verify that f(g(x)) = g(f(x))=x and that g′(f(x)) = (1/(f′(x))
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 334 • Replies: 17
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 08:35 am
@cin123,
I suspect this is homework. If you would like I will help you through it.

Tell me what "inverse" means, and what you are doing to find the inverse. How do you plan to start this problem?
cin123

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 07:32 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes this is my university assignment, I required step by step solution for this math question, I dont know how to explain what is the meaning of inverse.

knaivete

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 08:11 pm
@cin123,
https://socratic.org/questions/how-do-you-show-that-f-x-1-1-x-and-g-x-1-x-x-are-inverse-functions-algebraically
maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 08:49 pm
@cin123,
Hopefully you are comfortable with functions at this point. A function has an input value that maps to an output value. The inverse of that function is the reverse, it is asking what input would be required to get the desired output value... in over words it maps the original output value to an input value.

Let's take a simpler example; f(x) = 3 + x.

You should be able to write a table of input values to output values.

Code:
Input Output
x f(x)
----- ---------
0 3
1 4
2 5

So an input value of "0" maps to an output value of "3", and "1" maps to "4" and so on. (Tell me if this isn't crystal clear).
maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 08:51 pm
@maxdancona,
So the Inverse of f(x) = 3 + x should do the opposite.

An input of "3" should map to "0"
An input of "4" should map to "1"

So for this much simpler function [ f(x) = 3 + x ] can you figure out the inverse function?
cin123

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:52 am
@knaivete,
But now the problem is ow to find g(x), as the value of g(x) is not stated in the question?
knaivete

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 03:05 am
@cin123,
Quote:
Determine the inverse g(x) of the function f(x) = (1+(1/x)), stating its domain and range. Verify that f(g(x)) = g(f(x))=x and that g′(f(x)) = (1/(f′(x))

But now the problem is ow to find g(x), as the value of g(x) is not stated in the question?

The questions states that g(x) is the inverse of f(x).

The link shows how to construct the proof you require.
cin123

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 03:23 am
@knaivete,
But now the problem is how to find g(x), as the value of g(x) is not stated in the question?
0 Replies

cin123

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 03:27 am
@knaivete,
Another problem is how to find (f′(x)) and g′(f(x)) as both (f′(x)) and g′(f(x)) values are not given?
0 Replies

cin123

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 05:38 am
@knaivete,
But the problem is I need step by step solution, as the link that you provide to me just now, the working step to the solution is not complete for both f((x)) and g(f(x)), some of the working they jump step. As this is a university assignment not a college homework, I need the step by step solution. I hope you can understand the difficulties that I am facing right now. For the link that you provide me to me for the f((x)) part, the first 2 line of the working, how does 1 become (x/x), for the g(f(x)) part, the first 2 line of the working, how does 1 become (1+x)/(1+x)?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 07:05 am
@cin123,
I am offering to help you work through a simpler problem, step by step. Then you can apply the same steps to the more difficult problem. That way you can work out the concepts with help and then apply them to your homework. You seem to not want my help.

But I am here if you want.
cin123

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 08:53 am
@maxdancona,
cannot figure out the inverse function for (3x-1)?
cin123

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:09 am
@maxdancona,
The problem is I dont have so much time to work out a simpler problem step by step by parts, I have other assignment to do also and dateline to meet to submit the assignment also, I cant probably spent 1 wole day to just work out your simpler problem step by step by parts, as this question got 4 parts not 2 parts to do, I hope you understand the difficulties that I am facing right now. Because the similar example that you ive to me is explain the concept base of only 1 part of the question, by explainin the theory concept base of only this 1 part of the question does not help me at all to do my university assinment at all, I need a similar example that is relevant to te question and is applicable to the question, as my this assignment is a university assignment not a college based assinment, especially math subject, the lecturer will require us to produce a step by step working solution to solve the question.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:14 am
@cin123,
OK. I understand.
0 Replies

cin123

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:17 am
@cin123,
I cannot figure out the inverse function of (3x - 1), as there is no step by step working provided.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:20 am
@cin123,
If you don't have the time to work out a simpler problem step by step, then you don't have the to learn.

I could give you the answer, but I won't. It would be wrong for me to do so.

Sorry, but you are going to have to take the time.
0 Replies

cin123

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:34 am
@knaivete,
Thank you for your link provided and your help provided.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Calculus > Inverse Function
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/15/2024 at 10:13:01